Seaweed as mulch in polycrub (polytunnel)

• 2 Replies

Fnona

Seaweed as mulch in polycrub (polytunnel)
« on: January 29, 2020, 17:18 »
I used seaweed to mulch asparagus in my polycrub (first year of planting) and it is now covered with a silvery mound. Should I remove it ASAP, or hope that when the weather warms up and the seaweed dries out, this will not be a problem?

JacsH

Re: Seaweed as mulch in polycrub (polytunnel)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 17:15 »
You are not alone rather than an answer! My asparagus is outside in raised beds and we, too, have just mulched with seaweed - the recent storms have brought up tonnes on the local shore. We mulched about 3 weeks ago now, and all I'd planned on doing was to cover the seaweed with our compost so it can rot down underneath rather than drying out too much on the surface - dry? here? SW Scotland? It's  been windy so surface is dry and I'm thinking that the white 'mould' is more likely to be dried salts but the bitter cold NW wind is encouraging me to stay indoors and think seed sowing rather than investigate more thoroughly. There's always the tunnel to dig/manure though.
IMG_1655 15cm.jpg

Fnona

Re: Seaweed as mulch in polycrub (polytunnel)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:29 »
You are not alone rather than an answer! My asparagus is outside in raised beds and we, too, have just mulched with seaweed - the recent storms have brought up tonnes on the local shore. We mulched about 3 weeks ago now, and all I'd planned on doing was to cover the seaweed with our compost so it can rot down underneath rather than drying out too much on the surface - dry? here? SW Scotland? It's  been windy so surface is dry and I'm thinking that the white 'mould' is more likely to be dried salts but the bitter cold NW wind is encouraging me to stay indoors and think seed sowing rather than investigate more thoroughly. There's always the tunnel to dig/manure though.
:DMany thanks - have only just seen this, don't know why! Like you it the winds have been very cold here. Did you cut a few spears the second year, or were you strong willed and wait til year 3? Am worried if Corona gets us someone else will get my lovingly cared for asparagus![/b]

xx
Polytunnel or no polytunnel

Started by sion01 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 15:26
by Headgardener22
xx
new polytunnel what veg?

Started by erp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 13:14
by arugula
xx
polytunnel

Started by kitch on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 00:14
by muntjac
xx
Polytunnel

Started by Bridgend Jon on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 20:34
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 42 queries.