First 'warnings' from the water board...

• 35 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: First 'warnings' from the water board...
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 15:18 »
The Thames Water hosepipe ban says you can use a hose to water food being grown on an allotment where essential, but completely prohibits watering anything at home with a hose.  It does not seem to make any provisions for those growing veg at home. 

Knickers in a knot all round it seems  :wacko: 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 20:47 »
That's really helpful, thanks JayG. The ban is much more nuanced than I thought.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2022, 21:06 »
SE Water says you can't use a hose at all, but you can use a watering can as much as you want to water anything. Luckily if you are a pensioner, and you register with them, they will let you use a hose, at home and by notifying the Ashford Council Allotment officer, I can now use one on my plot as well.

This simply means that the weather will now change completely  ::) :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2022, 06:36 »
There was a duscussion about SE Water allowing you to water pots etc., but not whole gardens! I'm not sure about allotments.

As usual, confusion reigns when all these thousands of people have to agree how to deal with such a basic commodity!

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2022, 08:04 »
As usual, confusion reigns when all these thousands of people have to agree how to deal with such a basic commodity!

It should have never been made a commercial commodity and the problems will only get worse while it remains one.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2022, 15:54 »
I can only speak about what has happened here during prolonged droughts, and why we sometimes need to curtail water use through restrictions.

Most of the time our mains water supply is adequate (mostly coming from surface water reservoirs).

At one time, the amount of treated water was more than adequate for the population, but as population has increased, so has demand for treated water. We had a sequence of exceptional droughts a decade or two ago. There were no water restrictions at first, people kept watering lawns and gardens, washing cars, etc.with treated water, provided at low cost. The reservoirs began to show record low water levels, the water became more difficult to treat (because there's more silt, algae, etc. as the water becomes shallower). Some reservoirs dried up completely, drinking and cooking supplies had to be trucked in to some towns.

Lesson learned, in later droughts, restrictions were applied early.  Higher cost of treatment was factored in, and higher rates were charged for customers  with excessive water consumption. Fined if the watering restrictions were violated.  Water is a commodity associated with costs, passed on to the consumer.  Result: we have had similar exceptional drought periods, but not the dry reservoirs of the past.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Storm Bella on the Way Weather Warnings in Place

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 28, 2020, 10:36
by JayG
xx
I need to put more water with it!!

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2023, 09:00
by Goosegirl
xx
we have water?

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 20:56
by Growster...
xx
Water leak

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post December 15, 2021, 13:12
by jezza

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 41 queries.