Long handled bulb planter wanted

• 4 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Long handled bulb planter wanted
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:41 »
I sowed a new lawn last autumn where there used to be a flower bed with bulbs. Plenty of singleton daffs coming through the new lawn :( but actually I think they is an opportunity to transplant them and make a nice naturalised area at the back of the lawn. I don't care if they don't put on much/any show for a few years, but I do want them out of the way of the mower!

I tried my puny hand-held bulb planter, but the heavy clay is way too much for it, and its going to distort and wreck the planter - and my wrist!

So perhaps a long handled bulb planter that you stamp in with your foot will do the trick?

I see them priced from a tenner (which is surely going to be too puny?) to about 60 quid  :blink:

Advice would be appreciated. Anyone got one who swears by (or at!) it?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Long handled bulb planter wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 13:07 »
My sister bought me a "Wolf" dandelion-grubber with a long "D" handle which I didn't find much use for its intended purpose (not got as many dandelions as she seems to think!) but which my neighbour used to great effect for planting bulbs in his lawn.

It takes out a core of soil about 1 1/2 inches in diameter in no time at all and depending on your soil type the core either falls out or is pushed out when you make the next hole.

Worth a look!  8)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:38 »
Interesting thought, thanks. Is this the chap?

I have used a long handled bulb planter in the past (eons ago), and my memory is that the soil stuck to it and it was a bit of a nightmare - created as many problems as it solved :(

The sort of thing that looks like this:

but I am quite tempted by this Potato Planter

I wonder though whether it will break into solid lawn as easily as a rotavated potato bed! but I assume I can stamp my foot on the cross-hinge. And it should release the "plug" a lot easier than having to make a second hole (fine for planting bulbs, but will crush the foliage when lifting them)

Maybe not so well as a two-footed jump onto the first type though

Kristen

• K's Garden blog

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:45 »
Yes Kristen that Wolf tool in your first picture is the one I was describing.

Somehow can't imagine that corkscrew affair being very easy to use!

You have already discounted the traditional "T"-handled bulb planter which leaves the lever and hinged contraption. Suspect that would either work brilliantly or be a complete waste of money!

Good luck!  ;)

xx
Planting potatoes with a bulb planter?

Started by allstars_princess on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 19:04
by allstars_princess
xx
Planting Potatoes With Bulb Planter?

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 22:26
by gobs
xx
bulb carrots

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 13:54
by dawninspain
xx
bulb development

Started by Nick36 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 14:50
by Salmo

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.