shallots dying off

• 3 Replies

jambop

shallots dying off
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:01 »

Help my shallots are dying off! They were going well then one by one they have started to wilt and die off. Is it too late to start some more off? I have dug a few of the wilted ones up and found them to have roots but the bulb was soft and soggy and some had maggots at the base.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: shallots dying off
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:24 »
Sounds very much like the larvae of onion fly, although it seems very early in the season to be suffering from them now, and sets are usually reckoned to be less susceptible than alliums grown from seed, so you are unlucky on both counts.  :(

It could be because of the mild winter, and if you are growing them where you grew alliums last year they could well have already been overwintering in the soil.

I think you would probably get away with replanting, but not where you had alliums growing last year. Prevention usually means enviromesh type netting, there are biological controls too but they tend to be quite expensive.

Pic of onion fly larvae HERE

Edit: Just looked at some of your previous posts and note that you live in SW France - I would imagine the life cycle of the onion fly runs to different timescales from the UK, and that with warmer summers you should certainly be OK planting again.

What I really really know is that adding something like "SW France" to your forum profile would save those trying to answer your questions from either having to remember, or otherwise trying to work out, your location.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 13:22 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 19:24 »
Shallot bulbs will always go soft and squishy. This is just the old bulb being fed unto the new ones. Can't help with the maggots though I'm afraid.

Totty

gobs

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 22:22 »
But they are wilting and dying too!

There are a few things that cause similar symptoms. In any case, rotate alliums for a few years.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Dying shallots

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 25, 2019, 19:40
by grinling
xx
Everything is dying!!!Help

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 14:11
by DD.
xx
Peas dying.

Started by Bodmass on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 20:10
by Bodmass
xx
my veg seedlings are dying

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 20:27
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 40 queries.