composting

• 19 Replies

alan bell

composting
« on: March 02, 2009, 18:07 »
URGENT!!!

I'm really quite despondent! I've been "composting" for the last year, and all I've got is a pretty smelly soggy pile of stuff.

We are a family of 2 adults now, have a weekly veg box (until I produce more stuff) and a medium sized "lawn"

Most of what goes in to my 2 "Ecomax" plastic compost bins is high in moisture content, green trimmings potato/carrot peel etc + fresh grass mowings.

I've used accelerator, layers of egg box, crumpled cardboard etc.

In about September I moved wet content of one bin into second bin, in layers, and left it until now. started second bin and have been layering it, also with horse manure and wood chippings.

I had a look at some of it today (about 5 months since moving it around), through hatch at bottom of each bin; and it's not the least bit dry and crumbly. I'm seriously doubting whether it's worth keeping and continuing.

I doubt if my bins have ever got up to a decent temperature?

Maybe for the type of waste we produce one of the sealed, insulated bins (scandinavian system?) would be more rewarding. Certainly couldn't be any worse.

Really soul destroying. I think it could take a year to be ready to incorporate into my soil!

I like the idea of "hot composting, except that storing waste until you've got enough to fill a bin, then filling it in layers etc ( as per JH's book) is not very practical, loads of rotting waste around until you've got enough to fill a bin in one go ain't on. What should I do,

regards alan

Help!!!!

woodburner

Re: composting
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 18:37 »
I had the opposite trouble last year, but a simple turning, followed by constant rain seems to have done the trick.

You did the right thing, adding cardboard, but grass clippings are notorious for turning to sludge.I'm not sure what you can do to salvage what you already have, but in future, how about a wormery for the veg waste and use the grass clippings as mulch on the veg plots, don't put it on too thick though.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Christine

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 19:22 »
I'd say you need more twiggy bits - fine hedge clippings help (think thin privet, or rose prunings or similar) - and vegetable peelings.

You could also add a lot more crumpled newspaper and cardboard in the future.  Also I prefer composting methods that allow plenty of air.

You also need to keep your composting bins in a sunny place where they will get warm. If you happen to have your bins in a shady corner this is not good.

You don't say if you have turned regularly in the year which is the other thing that is needed. This allows you to add dry type content if things are too wet.

Adey

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 19:56 »
Turn it regularly.   I had an unturned heap, grass, veg peelings etc. Took 3 years before it was useable.  Now I turn very week or two!

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 20:05 »
I would really recommend a wormery. If your bins aren't getting hot then get some worms from the fishing shop and they will soon get going. They only work in the top layer of your compost, usually they will turn up in your compost after the initial heating up. I have had up to 5 wormeries on the go of various sizes depending on our living circumstances. The best one we had was under our sink in a top floor flat, it was very efficient.

Bobbeh

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 22:31 »
Hello and welcome to the forum Alan.

I'm pretty new to gardening, and composting so listen to the seasoned experts rather then me. However...here's my two pence worth ;)

I started my heap near the end of the Summer in a black Ecomax bin and all the veg peeling etc I put in seemed to disappear almost right away. It was a bit dissappointing as there was very little left.

However nothing much has happened for months and it was almost full to the top until a week or so ago when I gave it a turn and we got a few days sun.
Due to there not being much in there in the run up to autumn/winter, with me only just getting the bin started, the composting process had most likely ground to a halt, but now the temperature outside is beginning to warm up it looks like activity has started up again inside and the contents are sinking due to composting.

I'd suggest perhaps giving it a good mix up and leave it a while longer to see what happens when/if you get some decent weather. :)

From what I've read lawn mowings should normally only be put in in small quantities, and wood chippings and anything very tough and woody may not be a great idea as it can take an age to rot away.

alan bell

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 22:43 »
Thanks for so many replies!
My bins are in the shade, not very good, but should be better now summer's coming.
I think I've got the mixture and layering ok from what you've all said, but I'm thinking of one of the swedish ones, but too pricey at the moment.
A third bin and turning it into the new one will be my next step.

Thanks all; fun this gardening; don't you think?
alan

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 22:50 »
Just to add Alan

Ive got my bins in the shade too (and they stand on concrete so less worms) and they've slowed down massively in the cold winter.Im fully expecting them to speed up soon as they have done before. As long as Ive got a good mix it works..its a bit slower but turning and good mix helps a lot.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

alan bell

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 13:13 »
Not sure how replying to my own post works, but here goes;

Have any of you guys (m&f) any experience of BOKASHI? sealed bin composting of all kitchen waste; looks interesting. If anyone is using I'd be interested to hear your views and experience.
Should I post this as a new topic, or isn't that necessary/
regards, alan b

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 13:50 »
Responding to your request for BOKASHI information: I have been using it for about a year now, and so far so good. I did a mini review on it in my blog last year, here is the link if you're interested: http://weedybeanz.blogspot.com/2008/07/bokashi.html
I would say though, if you're having trouble with a smelly, sludgy compost bin then I don't think adding bokashi bin contents will help much, but you can bury it directly in the ground.
It sounds as if you are doing everything right with your compost, so I can't think what the problem could be.
Whenever I mow my lawn, I have a big sack of torn up cardboard, eggboxes and shredded paper (and I mean LOADS of the stuff) - for every couple of inches of grass mowings, put a layer of paper/card about the same thickness. It does make mowing a rather slow process, but the result is a really hot, steaming bin after a day or two
Rachael

alan bell

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 13:56 »
Hi strangerachael; I was thinking I'd like to reduce our waste of food waste, by adding that as a layer in future compost, and for direct use in beds. I think I'll let nature do its thing with the 2 bins I've got on the go; have a look in late summer,
regards alan b

johnnyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 18:46 »
Are your bins sitting directly on the soil or do they have a base to them. Compost bins should be sited on soil so that the worms can get in and start doing their wormy things.
Confucuos said... "Youve spelt my name wrong"

alan bell

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 18:59 »
Bins are directly on soil and have had lots of thin red worms!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 19:03 »
Are your bins sitting directly on the soil or do they have a base to them. Compost bins should be sited on soil so that the worms can get in and start doing their wormy things.

Its ideal but not always possible (my garden is flagged), but somehow they still work their way in!

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 21:46 »
Bins are directly on soil and have had lots of thin red worms!
Thin red worms are a good sign. Sounds like a bit too much of the grass clippings to me. Stick to the peelings and the like for a while and leave out the grass. Keep turning it until it gets going again.
Lastly - there's a secret accelerator that you could use. You have to promise to keep it secret though and be careful with its introduction. It worked a treat for me, is high in Nitrogen, is free, men can apply it easier than ladies and you might have to stand on tippee toe to get it in the compost bin whilst making sure there's no-one watching.

Know what I mean?   ;)
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

xx
Composting

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 14, 2023, 20:52
by Yorkie
xx
Composting

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 11:19
by noshed
xx
COMPOSTING

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 17:29
by lincspoacher
xx
composting

Started by nataiva on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 21:18
by nataiva

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.