Seedlings wilted

• 11 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Seedlings wilted
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:24 »
Hi chaps, these are on a window cill (or sill)? I did open the window a couple of times during the day, could that have done the damage ? I doubt they'll recover so I guess I'll have to start again (brassicas).
IMG_1326.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Seedlings wilted
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:47 »
Is it a sunny windowsill? Bright sunlight through the window is more likely to kill them off like that  :(
The light enough but not too bright is quite hard to get right at this time of year *sigh*

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:49 »
Brassicas like it on the cold side, so I doubt opening the window did harm.  It looks more like they scorched.

I've got mine germinating on the staging in my unheated greenhouse and they are doing fine.  Maybe a cooler, but still bright windowsill inside if that is all you have, but they will need to go outside quickly.  They get leggy if kept too warm.

Snap Mos  :)

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:55 »
Thanks mumofstig and newshoot - "scorching" I didn't think of that ... you learn something new etc etc ... I'll start again.

good of you to take the time.

Roger

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 19:47 »
Thank you. Duh! Scorching - didn't think of that last year and same thing this year. I tried moving them kto unheated greenhouse (didn't have one or allotment last year). and they still wilted. Will try next batch on floor of greenhouserather than on the shelving. Thank you.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 19:51 »
Another thing to beware of with seedlings, though it might not have been the case with yours this time, is the risk of 'damping off'.

This basically means that the seedlings keel over at ground level, and is caused by bacteria (I think). So it is always recommended to use clean compost and pots, and clean water.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

al78

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 22:50 »
Scorched? You mean you have had sunshine this week? Here in Horsham we've had zero sun since Sunday, no risk of scorching here.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 23:13 »
Scorched? You mean you have had sunshine this week? Here in Horsham we've had zero sun since Sunday, no risk of scorching here.

Believe it or not, we've actually had some half decent weather this week in the West Mids!

al78

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:33 »

Believe it or not, we've actually had some half decent weather this week in the West Mids!

Yes I'm aware, further north there has been some lovely weather thanks to the Welsh mountains partially drying the humid SWly airflow. I think it got to nearly 20C somewhere around Sheffield earlier this week.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 13:31 »
Looking at the picture again the compost looks rather wet as if you've used a watering can which has disturbed some of the surface which has led to damping-off. I find the best way to water seedlings is to put the tray onto a base filled with some water and take it out as soon as the surface starts to go darker.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jezza

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 22:36 »
hello you don't say which compost you used if its old or from other plants it could be damping off if its garden soil it could be clubroot some composts can be to strong eg one company uses local authority composted green waste mixed with foundry ash it burns germinating seeds off also some composted waste has amino coprydol weedkiller in it that has not broken down after 3 months if this is used it kills germinating seeds off jezza

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 07:20 »
Hi Jezza - it was shop bought 'general' compost from a bag, and thank you 'goosegirl' I'll start doing that.

xx
carrots wilted

Started by candygold1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 21:54
by candygold1
xx
my beets have wilted :(

Started by leeky on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 09:54
by WG.
xx
Wilted Potatoes

Started by Bengal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 08:18
by Chris B
clip
Wilted potatoes

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2020, 10:07
by Twood

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 52 queries.