What Now for my Allotment

• 9 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
What Now for my Allotment
« on: September 09, 2013, 20:40 »
Unfortunately progress on my allotment has been a little slow for the first year.   It is quite over grown, but hopefully once the weeds start dying I can try build a few more beds and prepare for next year.  I have tried to cover most of it with plastic which has controlled the weeds to an extent, though I can tell the weeds have still grown a bit below the mulch. 

We did manage to grow potatoes in one bed and strawberries in another.  The plants are now dead and all but a few potatoes harvested.

Any suggestions on what I can do over the next few months whilst I wait for the weeds to die.   What can I plant in the bed where the potatoes grow?  I heard garlic and onions can be done at this time.  Would I plant them both in the same bed?  Or is it worth digging over a small patch of weed covered ground and getting something planted in there?  What else can be planted with onions or garlic?

I guess I should leave the bed with the strawberry plants as they will grow again next year - or can I plant in between them - they were quite spaced out; only 6 plants for standard sized bed made from decking.

Any suggestions for starting veg off from seed?

Thanks in advance!

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: What Now for my Allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:26 »
I would probably leave the strawberrys. You should get runners next year from the plants you have which you can use to fill in the big gaps. Runners are sideshoots from the main plant that can take root and become another strawberry plant.

Sept/Oct is a good time to plant some overwintering green manures. I don't know how much you know about them but they are basically a cover crop to stop nutrients leeching from the soil over winter and help keep weeds down. I'm doing a mix of Hungarian grazing rye and Winter tares (approx 50:50). If you do sow some of these make sure to give the ground a good weed first.
The rye is good for the above mentioned things and also has quite an extensive root system so digs the soil for you overwinter!! The winter tares are a legume(bare in mind crop rotation) so along with the above mentioned stuff they also fix nitrogen from the air. You dig these back into the ground in early spring (march/april) before they set seed and this gives a great supply of nitrogen.

Note: When you dig them in they release a chemical that inhibits seed germination for a few weeks. seedlings/transplants should be fine though.

garlic and onion are both from the same family (alium) so ye they can be put in the same bed. Onions and shallots from sets are usually planted september or october so anytime in next couple of months. Garlic I would do a little later like october-december.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:27 by Eightball »

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 13:56 »
GardenShed, you sound a bit downbeat but don’t give up! I got my first allotment – a half plot – 3 years ago and it was a weed ridden jungle at first. And it was pretty depressing. I was going to cover with black plastic and let time kill the weeds but instead was able to get someone to roughly plough it and leave over winter. But a small patch – maybe a 3 ft strip the width of the plot – we dug over and planted garlic and elephant garlic. They went in November. Easy to grow and by the time you return in spring you already have something visibly growing rather than a barren, possibly weed strewn expanse. You can also get autumn planting shallots and onion sets, just as easy to grow.

As for seeds you can plant some broad beans in Oct (use variety aquadulce)  though these can also be planted in spring.

Have you considered other fruit such as soft fruit or small trees such as apple, plum etc? Because winter is the time to plant these and once established these are perennial. November is a great time to put in a row of raspberrys and theres all sorts of other berry fruit such as cultivated blackberries, tayberries, currants, gooseberries etc. I have a lot of these which went in last year. They’re easy and once in, little maintenance.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 19:57 »
Thanks for the advice to both of you. I think what I might do is weed the strawberry bed and leave the strawberries there.  They actually produced the runners you mentioned a few months ago - not really checked recently so not sure if they are dead.  Given that I have left them will they just root in where they are and die back, and can they be dug up and replanted in the spaces between original strawberry plants?

For the potato bed I think I will weed it and plant the green manures you suggest.  Do I do half the plot with one manure and the other half with the other, or can it all be mixed together?  And do both types you mention simply get dug in to the soil next year?

I will peel back a bit of the plastic weed and dig over a bit, and plant some onions and garlic.

As for fruit, we inherited redcurrent and blackcurrent bushes.  Around March time I pruned them down by about a third - I had no idea what I was doing and the guidance I read online about pruning just confused me about new and old branches etc.  Anyway, I trimmed away and somehow it all worked out fine and we had an abundance of fruit.

Also inherited a row of raspberry canes - I had no idea what to do with them - they all looked dead - brown wood.  Anyway, trimmed them down a bit and somehow they produced loads of fruit.  When I read about summer raspberries I was once again confused about old and new canes - mine all looked old but they still worked really well!

Have had loads of rhubarb growing in one corner, which we also inherited - it just appeared!  The leaves were getting out of control about two months ago and cos it had been growing for a few months I ripped it all up, thinking it was coming to an end.  Surprisingly I have had huge amounts of rhubarb regrow!

In summer time I did buy some trees - a pear, a braeburn apple and a plum tree.  They were about 4 or 5 foot I think, no fruit off them yet.  Two of them I think I planted too close - about 1.5m only perhaps, but hopefully they will still be ok.  I would like to get a cherry tree, but have never seen semi-drawf ones in the shops - are they available.  Also considered a nectarine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 20:02 by GardenShed »

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44 »
yup I would imagine by now they would have produced some good roots so they can be removed from the main plant and replanted where you want them!. For future reference you should try and limit the amount of runners each plant produces  as they will put all their energy into producing runners and not into the actual fruit. I limit mine to 1-2 runners per plant each year and remove any more runners that appear.

Just mix them together roughly 50:50 and scatter a decent sized handful per square metre, rake them in and lightly tread the soil so the seeds have good contact with the soil. I used the end of my rake a bit like a potato masher because i found actually treading on the soil compacted it too much. There probably are proper tools for this job but it worked :D and yes you dig them both back into the soil next spring before they set seed.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:04 »
Unfortunately progress on my allotment has been a little slow for the first year.   It is quite over grown, but hopefully once the weeds start dying I can try build a few more beds and prepare for next year.  I have tried to cover most of it with plastic which has controlled the weeds to an extent, though I can tell the weeds have still grown a bit below the mulch. 

We did manage to grow potatoes in one bed and strawberries in another.  The plants are now dead and all but a few potatoes harvested.

Any suggestions on what I can do over the next few months whilst I wait for the weeds to die.   What can I plant in the bed where the potatoes grow?  I heard garlic and onions can be done at this time.  Would I plant them both in the same bed?  Or is it worth digging over a small patch of weed covered ground and getting something planted in there?  What else can be planted with onions or garlic?

I guess I should leave the bed with the strawberry plants as they will grow again next year - or can I plant in between them - they were quite spaced out; only 6 plants for standard sized bed made from decking.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, you sound like a no-sweat gardener, there is no such garden is the only reason why I'm pointing this out.

"Any suggestions on what I can do over the next few months whilst I wait for the weeds to die. "

Dig. Whilst you are are waiting for the weeds to die, they shall grow.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sweetpea C

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:44 »
Or just a novice gobs!!!  ::)

Gardenshed - weeds die down over the winter, but they are all still there, roots growing stronger and new seeds in the ground getting ready to grow up behind you at the first sign of spring and go 'ner ner ner ner ner'! So Gobs is right, any chance you get, dig out the roots and then you should only be left with the ones that have seeded over the winter to dig out.

It was my first year this year ( I started in Feb) so you have the advantage ofhaving the plot now that you can plant out what I found really easy to grow, garlic & onions. Plonk then in the ground and leave them (there might be more technical advice on here but it worked for me!) I did have to net against birds and the like but you'll know by looking at the other allotments how necessary that is.

Just my view, it's daunting with all of this great advice when you are not sure what to do! Good luck and happy digging  :D
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 18:42 »

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, you sound like a no-sweat gardener, there is no such garden is the only reason why I'm pointing this out.

"Any suggestions on what I can do over the next few months whilst I wait for the weeds to die. "

Dig. Whilst you are are waiting for the weeds to die, they shall grow.

Not at all - I don't mind digging - did plenty of it earlier in the year.  I was just asking what I could grow over winter and meant that I will start building beds and preparing for next year when the weeds have died down a bit.  When I took over the plot around the beginning of the year, the weeds had certainly died back quite a bit - nothing like what they are now.  Plus I have quite a lot of black plastic pinned down.  But for the record, I have no problem with digging!

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 18:55 »
Or just a novice gobs!!!  ::)

Gardenshed - weeds die down over the winter, but they are all still there, roots growing stronger and new seeds in the ground getting ready to grow up behind you at the first sign of spring and go 'ner ner ner ner ner'! So Gobs is right, any chance you get, dig out the roots and then you should only be left with the ones that have seeded over the winter to dig out.

It was my first year this year ( I started in Feb) so you have the advantage ofhaving the plot now that you can plant out what I found really easy to grow, garlic & onions. Plonk then in the ground and leave them (there might be more technical advice on here but it worked for me!) I did have to net against birds and the like but you'll know by looking at the other allotments how necessary that is.

Just my view, it's daunting with all of this great advice when you are not sure what to do! Good luck and happy digging  :D

Thanks for the encouragement and yes I will be digging over selected areas to pull out roots, but not until they have died down quite a bit! Plenty of time before next spring and summer.  I am trying to read and learn about growing veg, but have sort of used the approach you suggest by just planting and seeing what happens.  I planted two cherry tomato plants months ago, never fed them, never weeded around them, did a bit of the pinching out thing at first, but then left them and they looked dead.  As of last week they are absolutely massive, wide and tall, despite bindweed, marestail and other weeds amongst them, and they have ridiculous amounts of red tomatoes, all healthy and tasty.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 14:51 »
Gardenshed, I suspect you are teasing us.  ::)

Do you mean about the tomatoes?  If so, no I'm not, I think the great weather helped and I guess sometimes nature takes care of itself, either way the tomatoes were really successful and therefore, a nice surprise given we did hardly anything to look after them.

xx
new allotment

Started by mhshah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 17:41
by mikegm
xx
new allotment

Started by riverside on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 10:00
by fatbelly
xx
Allotment

Started by scottish_lass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 09:24
by scottish_lass
xx
i got an allotment

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 08:41
by gawk

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 39 queries.