yeast nutrient??????

• 4 Replies

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
yeast nutrient??????
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:35 »
i have a 50g jar of this bought in Wilkinsons.  (youngs brand)

is this the yeast or just something that feeds it??
I started pearwine and parsnip wine last year and used it as the yeast and they bubbled away happily(now in bottles awaiting a try later this year)
Did a elderflower champagne(river cottage} and elderflower wine last week and niehter has started to bubble/froth! :( :(
Any help/advice much appreciated :D :D :D

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Re: yeast nutrient??????
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 18:30 »
Yeast nutrient is just that - nutrient.  Normally a couple of different chemicals.  There used to be some brands of yeast (like the old Formula 67) that were yeast and nutrient, but it clearly said so on the label.

I suspect your wines last year fermented with natural yeasts.  It can work really well, but isn't much help if there isn't any around, or if it doesn't get working!  If I were you I'd get some standard wine yeast from the brew shop and give it another go.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 23:40 »
thanks off to wilkinsons tomorrow, would you believe no home brew shops in a city the size off liverpool :(

Am i right in thinking its OK to add the yeast now??

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 22:12 »
Check the smell/taste - if either is "off", chuck it and start again.  But if it smells ok, just add the yeast as per the instructions on the label.  To get it going faster, you can take some warm water in a jar, add some sugar and yeast nutrient, then add the yeast and stir briskly.  Leave it in a warm place till it's frothing really well and then add it to the mix and stir. 

I am surprised about the lack of brew shops - even Ashford managed to have one (although it's recently closed down).

SUTTY1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 23:18 »
Thanks again SarahB, got yeast today and added as you said, just checked and can hear it bubbling in bin.
Meet a person in Wilkinsons today who told me of a good homebrew shop in StHelens only 12 mls away. :D :D

xx
Yeast Nutrient

Started by norfolkgrog on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:34
by Jay Dubya
xx
Yeast nutrient

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 14:16
by SpudtheBinx
xx
Yeast nutrient

Started by LivvyW on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 20:30
by SG6
xx
can I substitute nutrient for something else

Started by freyaluck on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 14:08
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.