alpine container

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

alpine container
« on: March 17, 2024, 16:49 »
A few years ago I rescued from a Garden Centre a granite base of a water feature.  (free)   Somebody drilled me 4 tiny holes in it about pencil size.  I filled it with a mix of sand and soil with some crock in the bottom.
I have notice that it has become a new water feature.  The plants have had it and it is covered in moss.  Today I have dug out the soaked soil and gravel and managed to bin it, then lifted the granite base onto its side.  It is 20 inches square x 8 inches tall and the granite is 1 inch thick.    I have been advised to buy a diamond drill bit, ad make the existing holes bigger, and carefully drill a couple on one side which has no holes.
When I have done this, what do you advise refilling it with (I have bought some saxifrage and pritzalago and mini-pinks to go back in and shall shall add some of y house leaks.)
I am anxious to get the soil mix right now.  I have got some horti grit, but can get perlite or vermiculite as necessary.     Any advice please.    Thanks,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: alpine container
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 17:22 »
I’d think the grit mixed 50/50 with compost would be suitable with a top dressing of attractive gravel/grit on top to set off the new planting
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 16:10 »
I am thinking of lining the base with some matting so that the holes don't get bunged up.  Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 09:47 »
I think that would bung them up so why not get the grit into the holes then put the soil on top of that so it will drain better.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 13:40 »
I don’t think you need any matting Mrs B, just lots of crocks, then the soil & grit mixed well. Remember most alpines grow in crevices & cracks with very little actual soil, the grittier the better

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 12:02 »
The drill bit is due later today, so I am going to start preparing the mix.  I shall probably have to smash  pots to get enough crocks for the bottom. Better search for my safety goggles as well.   Mrs B
Thanks for your replies.

xx
When to move container perennials to larger container

Started by Tobiass on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 15:02
by BobE
xx
alpine plants?

Started by ally on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 20:22
by ally
xx
Container hellebores

Started by DIGGER on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 23:58
by Trillium
xx
Container Roses

Started by aec on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 19:31
by DavidT

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 44 queries.