Any Ideas why my chicken died :(

• 1 Replies

kyz1981

Any Ideas why my chicken died :(
« on: September 25, 2012, 14:41 »
I had a mixed flock of 6 chickens all around 18 weeks old now, on Friday I heard my Cochin Roo sneezing so took him to the vet as I could hear he was wheezy and she gave him some antibiotics and a pain killer injection, she also gave me some Tylan (sp). to put in the water for all my hens.

My Hens are not laying at the moment as they are just coming in to lay, On sunday my Welsummer Hillary refused to come out of the cube, so I picked her up and put her in my spare run with some food and water - she appeared to perk up, Yesterday she was still looking ill- not eating drinking and not wanting to move- so off to the vet, again two injections, no discharge from the eyes, no swelling and no sneezing, vent clean with no signs of lice, mites so nothing other than being sleepy and looking Ill.

She did not perk up at all after the injections which has never happened to me (taken my chickens to the vets a few times). So put her in a box in the spare room and tried to get some nutri drops and water in to her, she did take the odd ml but was not interested in anything. she had runny green poo, but put this down to the fact she had not eaten much.

They were all wormed with Fluvonet 3 weeks ago and prior to yesterday all droppings looked normal.

Later that evening she appeared to have what looked like a massive seizure and died :( but I have no idea why and I am worried I am missing something that could affect my other Ladies/gent.

Any ideas welcome the fitting was really horrible to watch and have never seen anything like this in chickens before.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Any Ideas why my chicken died :(
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 14:54 »
It could have been the respiratory infection that killed your chicken. Respiratory infections such as mycoplasma are highly contagious. Sometimes chicks are hatched with this infection as it can be passed down from hen to the egg and it will flare up at times of stress such as coming into lay or moulting.
Staffies are softer than you think.

sad
help my chicken just died

Started by funny farm on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 17:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
chicken died

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 16:56
by ste23
xx
My chicken died

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 20:23
by HENrietta
xx
chicken died this morning

Started by Lizziechick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 18:44
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 39 queries.