My Water Butt

• 2 Replies

MrsWeed

My Water Butt
« on: May 20, 2011, 15:20 »
Hi all, this is probably going to sound really dumb...we inherited two water butts on our allotment. One of them is half full and would be good to start using it.

However, it looks like the previous owner has made two holes in the water butt and fed two seperate bits of hose through the butt and sealed it , about 3/4 of the way up. We're guessing that this is some sort of suction contraption to get the water out  but I really don't fancy sucking on the end of a dirty hose in front of other allotment holders, just in case we're totally wrong. Can you imagine the looks?!  :wacko:

Any ideas?

fatcat1955

Re: My Water Butt
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 15:42 »
More likely he had a number of water butts connected together. To siphon water you place a 3ft length of hose under the water till it is full , place your thumb over 1 end and lift it out of the butt, lower it below the height of the water butt, remove your thumb and the water flows.

mobilekat

Re: My Water Butt
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 16:20 »
If that was my father the hose would be linked to a keg of beer, kept nicely cool in the water.

But as Fatcat says its more likely that the butts were linked so that when one was full the next one filled...

Try asking the neighbours as they might know (and you never know the beer theory may be right!)
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

xx
Water butt

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2015, 07:01
by Growster...
xx
Mossies in Water Butt

Started by Frog on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:49
by Big Jen
xx
Water butt hidden by ivy.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 19:53
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Mosquito larvae in the water butt

Started by SnooziSuzi on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 07:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 28 queries.