Rhubarb,what next

• 12 Replies

beansticks

Rhubarb,what next
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:08 »
I have just bought a Rhubarb crown from Wilkinsons,variety Red Canadian,however there is no info regarding care etc.Can anyone advise how best to look after it until i can plant it in the spring,it is currently in a sealed bag of compost,also can i grow this in a container,any advice greatly appreciated.

Fisherman

Re: Rhubarb,what next
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42 »
I grew 4 similar crowns in 10" - 12" pots last year as I was extending the veg plot and didn't have space available. The plan was to plant them out later in the year so that I would have a decent crop the following year. Once they started growing they became root bound after about 8 -10 weeks and then needed watering more or less every other day. They were planted out later in the year and have yet to make an appearance but I live in hope. I think it would probably be difficult growing in containers for more than 1 year unless the container was extremely large as the root structure is huge.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 23:12 »
Rhubarb is pretty tough. If your earth's thawed out now and not too claggy you could put it outside now with a top coat of manure or straw just in case . I seem to remember there was an ideal depth? Anyone know?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:32 »
The buds on the top of the crown should be just below the surface of the soil.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

beansticks

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 13:03 »
Thanks guys and girls,been to the plot today,managed to carry on altering some raised beds,soil has thawed ok,so i will get the crown in the ground,thanks Dave for the advice about the depth.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 13:12 »
Glad this come up as a topic as I had 2 crowns delivered a couple of days ago and wasn't sure what to do.
 Just planted them but have put bubble wrap and old incinerator lids over them until we see what the weather holds.
Many thanks for the topic Beansticks
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

beansticks

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 14:11 »
Hi Mosslane,i have had my plot for 6 years now,but have never grown Rhubarb,we learn something new every day.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 15:12 »
Rhubarb is pretty tough. If your earth's thawed out now and not too claggy you could put it outside now with a top coat of manure or straw just in case . I seem to remember there was an ideal depth? Anyone know?

When you say 'manure' do you mean composted black horse or fresh. See so many people put fresh on top, just wondered?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 15:57 »
A shovel full of my compost or  spare manure anything with garden goodness gets slung on top of my Rhubarb , its seems to love this treatment.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 16:08 »
Hi Beansticks. I know what you mean. I have had rhubarb before at a previous house but never planted it myself before.

GreenOwl

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 14:44 »
When you say 'manure' do you mean composted black horse or fresh. See so many people put fresh on top, just wondered?

I wouldn't put fresh on anything.  Will burn the plants.  Go for composted.  If you've got fresh, put in in a heap to compost it. 

Cheers

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 20:07 »
My Rhubarb patch is alongside the midden heap (horse manure) so it doesn't get fresher than that  :wacko: The snow finally melted away yesterday and today when I went to have a look the Rhubarb has started to pop up already.

pod

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 20:36 »
i had Rhubarb in and was told to leave it the first year i.e not pull any stalks off then i could have a crop off it the second year then in november dig it up an let it get a frost to it every 3 years could enyone advise if this is right i have dug it up and its 3 times the size it was when i put it in so can i split it up enyone HELP thanks

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 20:39
by azubah
xx
OH Rhubarb.......

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 13:28
by sowitgrowit
xx
rhubarb

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 18:55
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.