making flower borders

• 8 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
making flower borders
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:50 »
I am going to dig out a boder in my garden to sow flower seed in. It is my first year growing flowers and I am not too sure how fussy they are with soil conditions. Do they all have different needs or is there are general soil type I should aim towards creating? Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: making flower borders
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 13:48 »
I would say to get the best blooms you need to add plenty of well rotted manure and compost - good soil, good plants! I've just redesigned all my borders and although I don't have a large garden, I've just dug in 24 large bags of manure and compost (had to buy it from the garden centre as my home grown compost is needed at the allotment!) If your soil has lots of clay in it, it would be a good idea to add some grit too. If you're planting shrubs, a good sprinkle around the base after planting with blood fish and bonemeal or growmore will help things on their way. Good luck! Hey Jude.

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 15:55 »
Hi

Are you going to sow annual/biennial plants? Or perennial plants? For perennials it is a bit unusual to sow directly into a bed outside. Normally you sow them in individual pots and plant them out after the first year, or buy them in pots in garden centres or a nursery. With annuals/biennials it depends on what kind you want to sow. Most of the wildflower types don`t need a very nutrient rich soil, some even need a rather poor soil. Only the types which are bred for big and spectacular flowers need a lot of nutrients.
For most perennial plants you can follow the advice posted by "Hey Jude", but if you want perennial wildflowers, normal not too poor garden soil is sufficient (with a mulch application from time to time).

Puenktchen

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 16:03 »
Thankyou both, I am planning on sowing annual seeds over the next month. I'm not growing anything too fancy but the soil is lacking drainage and could probably do with some manure as you have said. I think I will buy some wildflower seeds too for the borders that I can't afford to manure!
Huge thanks,
Helen

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:50 »
Poppies are good for growing without a lot of feeding. They also self seed so we give you a display year after year.

You will get a bigger show with lots of feedings but a lot of annuals will do okay with average soil, a lot of casual gardeners (me included) often go ages without adding loads (or any) feed. So don't break the bank thinking that's the only way you'll get anything to grow.

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 20:49 »
I like the term 'casual gardener' ! That would be me :) I have ordered poppy seeds as I love them, so if they are not too needy either then I am happy!

Thanks all

robinsnest

• robin gardens
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 21:11 »
I like the term 'casual gardener' ! That would be me :) I have ordered poppy seeds as I love them, so if they are not too needy either then I am happy!

Thanks all

Hi poppies do not need a nutrient rich soil but will need good drainage and preferably full sun, they are quite difficult to germinate. I would grow them in seed trays with a normal seed compost then plant them out after hardening them off in a cold frame.
Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:54 »
I just empty the seed heads over the soil when they have dried up in autumn and they come up every year. We have to pull them up like weeds sometimes from between paving slabs :)

stompy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:42 »
Just be carefull and have a good think before you put poppys in.
They can be very dificult to get rid of if you decide you don't want them anymore  :nowink:

xx
Pictures of Your Flower/Shrub Beds/Borders/Pots

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 09:00
by Christine
xx
Perenials for borders

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 19:07
by Jamie Butterworth
angry
HELP council have weedkilled my garden borders

Started by Rene on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 10:24
by cooked
xx
I bet some one will know this flower.

Started by Caretaker on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 18:41
by casper

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.