roosting perchs and other questions

• 12 Replies

Numptyone

roosting perchs and other questions
« on: August 08, 2011, 16:40 »
We are expecting delivery of our girls on Thurs and are starting to feel like expectant parents,
this is our first experience of chooks  do we to put some material eg straw,paper  under the perch,s ? What is the best bedding to use ,also shall we treat our co-op right away for mite ? it is brand new . Do we need shelter in the run  for the girls in case of rain .
Numps
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 16:41 by Numptyone »

Fisherman

Re: roosting perchs and other questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 18:31 »
I use Hemcore on the floor of the coop which can be bought from horse feed suppliers. Straw shouldn't be used as it can contain pests. Hemcore can also be used in the nesting boxes. Use a product called diatomaceous earth (diatom) to minimise the risk of red-mite which can be painted on high risk areas in a slurry.  Search this site as there is loads of info on how to apply it. Best to treat them for internal and external parasites straight away. Flubenvet is the best wormer and Frontline good for lice treatment and again search the site for advice. I would provide a covered area in the run if you can as it can get a mess especially in adverse weather. Best to keep the birds in the coop during the day and overnight on the first day which helps them settle in.

Ask for advice if you have any questions as you will get loads of help.

Good Luck

Numptyone

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 19:23 »
Thanks fisherman for your reply
will look at the items you suggest hopefully we can give the attention they desirve
always looking for advice
Numps

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 19:28 »
Hi Numptyone and welcome. Quite a lot of us use dust free wood shavings/ sawdust. Some people put newspaper down underneath but personally I don't as I found it can hold the damp. If you do a daily poo pick to get the worst of it out, (I use a childs beach spade for this), you should only need to clean the coop out about every 2 weeks. It needs to be dust free as chickens can get respiratory problems if it's not.
Your hens will generally only be in their coop at nightime and to lay, so an area of cover over the run and a sheltered area from wind etc would be a good idea.
If your coop is brand new it should be free of mites but they do need keeping an eye out for and they love to hide under felt roofing.
Have fun with your hens, don't forget to post some pictures on here.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 19:31 by themagicaltoad1 »

Numptyone

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 20:13 »
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice
hopefully we have found a place to good advice
and knowledge
numpty

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 20:14 »
Welcome from me too and don't forget the pictures when your hens arrive  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Numptyone

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 20:22 »
will post photo,s but l don,t know how we will sleep knowing
our girls will be outside all night everynight
keep you informed
numpty

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 20:28 »
Can't wait to see pics of your new girls. Good luck for Thursday.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 20:40 »
I use newspaper under the roosting bars. It works very well for me. You just have to make sure that the hens  can't get on to it or they will scratch it about all over the place. Having said that, I never think that it is desirable for the hens to be able to get underneath their perches.They will be walking in their own droppings.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 20:49 by yorky »
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 00:17 »
How do you stop yours from jumping down and going under the perches?
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 15:48 »
How do you stop yours from jumping down and going under the perches?

The photo is deceiving. The gap between the perches and the plank of wood is too narrow for them to get through.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 23:48 »
OK I'm going to put the can amongst the pigeons  :blink: (so to speak).  I have a different way of managing my coop litter. 

I use the 'deep litter method' which means I have dry litter on the floor of the coop and I never poo-pick and never clean it out.    :)  This system definitely won't suit everyone, but I just wanted to offer it up as another option.

In order for it to work you need to have a completely dry coop floor, totally dry litter, and obviously enough height in the coop to be able to build up the layers.

I just add more litter whenever the current lot seems to be breaking down a bit - just a few hands full each week or so.  And I encourage the chickens to turn the litter over, as that's what keeps it all aerated and stops the poo building up in any one area.

Here's a photo of my coop litter.  This has never been emptied out in the six months I've had the chickens.  There is no smell and the chickens always have clean feet and feathers.  In the pic you can see lots of dry leaves, some pine shavings, some dry grass stalks and the odd bit of poo:

ehs284

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:19 »
I've a slightly different approach. Under the perches is a hard surface. One perch is slightly higher than the other and the lift out floor slopes to the front. All is painted with diatomacious earth slurry. This makes the floor easy to clean - daily poo picking is just a matter of raking poo onto a shovel with a coal rake; takes 2 minutes. Shavings used for nest bedding which stays clean and is changed every few weeks. Repaint with DE every now and again.

xx
roosting

Started by sjkjsm on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:45
by joyfull
xx
Roosting outside

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 10:24
by ANHBUC
xx
Not roosting

Started by Foghorn on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 20:44
by Sparr0wman
xx
Roosting

Started by davelambo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 20:33
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 33 queries.