building a budgie aviary help request

• 8 Replies

grinling

building a budgie aviary help request
« on: February 24, 2015, 20:02 »
Currently have a girl budgie, who needs a boyfriend. She lives indoors and would like to move her into an outdoor aviary before adding.
I have been offered an aluminium greenhouse minus glass. Would it make a good aviary and what would you suggest is the best way to build and secure it to the ground.
Also thinking of moving kids wendy house so I could attach grrenhouse to this as similar size.
Need ideas

Goosegirl

Re: building a budgie aviary help request
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:37 »
My OH used to keep and breed budgies and he says it would be a lot of trouble to use a greenhouse frame because how are you going to attach the wire netting or weld mesh (which is a better idea) to the frame? You would be better off buying a ready-made one or getting someone to make one. The base will need to be sunk underground or vermin will get in. The best way is to construct a wall 2-3 foot tall with with foundations then sit whatever you use on top of the wall. Also, you will need to construct some sort of shelter from the weather. If you are not going into breeding, it may be more trouble than it's worth, so maybe a nice indoor cage would be better?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 16:11 »
My neighbour used to keep budgies and the key features of his aviary that I think would be a challenge to provide easily with a made-over greenhouse frame are:

1. A rodent proof base
2. A double door to stop birds flying out when you are going in and out, and, most importantly of all from the bird's point of view,

3. Insufficient flight at a high level in more than one direction

Coverings etc have already been talked about  by GG

How about an indoor flight cage?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 13:04 »
Going into a flight of fancy now (pun intended) I always fancied a home with a large entrance, annexe or extension - whatever, that was paved with Lakeland slate and had plenty of natural light that contained an indoor aviary and both tropical and marine aquariums, plus an indoor garden area in a raised bed with one or two small trees with orchids, carnivorous plants and other suitable plants, together with someone to look after it. Trouble is, I'm not a millionaire to be able to afford it!  :blush: Back to topic, sunshineband has added more important points so, maybe a re-think?

grinling

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 21:35 »
the base would be concrete as like the chicken base. What might be easier then is to construct a flight area attached to the wendy house.
I will think about an indoor one, but that would need to be portable as White Stripe gets moved out of the lounge if too noisy. I have aviary mesh,so will start making plans before showing hubby.
Thank you both very much,I may be back.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29 »
You could put your indoor one on castors to make it easier to move even though it should be quite light in weight. Just make sure you measure the width of your doorways first!  ;)

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 15:49 »
If there is any exposed woodwork, may be best to cover with mesh, Budgies gnaw well, especially breeding females.

Cover any windows in mesh, birds can't see them and can fly straight into them causing injuries like a broken neck..  :(

grinling

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 18:59 »
Thank you again, had a thought and a larger and longer one on casters would mean I could put her and friend into the conservatory and when the wendy house is moved add a flight area and move them into the house so they can access that, or make a flight area at the front of the potting shed.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 15:32 »
So sorry I missed this thread. Budgie aviary sounds really interesting. Had great fun with mine.

Would love to know how you are getting on. Also happy to offer advice if it would help. :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
budgie as a pet?

Started by grinling on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 23:06
by Chookiechook
xx
Request for a nuc of bees

Started by SnooziSuzi on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2018, 17:01
by ghost61
xx
Elvis has entered the building!

Started by Epona_4 on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 09:28
by spottymint

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.