Dog attack

• 18 Replies

judrop

• the chooks !
Dog attack
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:42 »
Oh dear I seem to post only sad news ! Sorry guys !
We lost our beautiful bella to a dog this morning,just a pile of feathers left, and our neighbours lost their cockerel to the same animal, I know you take this risk when the girls are totally ( apart from night time) free range , but it is so sad, especially on the heels of poor Honeys death from natural causes.
I am not sure if these thingsare notifiable because of the danger to sheep /lambs from the same animal ?
Thanks for reading Ju XX

Jeanette

Re: Dog attack
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:47 »
I am so sorry to hear about Bella. I dont know if it is notifiable but if you know the owner of the dog i would certainly let them no. ((((hugs))))

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:53 »
Im sorry too judrop, but i would report it to the police anyhow.
I am a dog owner and as a dog owner it is my responsibility to make sure my dog is kept under control at all times.
Where was this dogs owner at the time of the attacks  :mad:
I do hope you find out whose dog it is as seems to me it could be a danger to all.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18 »
I would also report it (if you havent already)
So sorry for your loss  :(

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 13:04 »
Im sorry too judrop, but i would report it to the police anyhow.
I am a dog owner and as a dog owner it is my responsibility to make sure my dog is kept under control at all times.
Where was this dogs owner at the time of the attacks  :mad:
I do hope you find out whose dog it is as seems to me it could be a danger to all.

I agree! I am a dog owner as well and it is are responsbility to make sure are dogs are under control. The dog owner should know, so they can do something about it becuase it could happen again. Sorry about bella.

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 13:17 »
I would have something to say to the owner of the dog. >:(
If it had been my dog I would hope I had the courtesy to approach you, first.

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 14:03 »
As usual , lovely supportive comments from all you kind people,
 sadly we dont know the dog or its owner, I didnt see the dog but our neighbour said he saw it just as it killed his cockerel, and thinks it was a staffordshire terrier.
I guess if it is a stray it may well have just been hungry.
Thanks again Ju XX

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 16:55 »
It needs reporting then ... just in case it's a stray. Your local council should have a dog warden.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 18:12 »
Hi, im so sorry you have lost your girl like this. I lost a hen to a dog just after i became 'owned' by chickens , its awful ! As regards the dog, if it is a stray it dose need reporting. The dog warden will have a scout around looking for a stray. It may not be dangerous, lots of members have dogs that cant be trusted with chickens, but are lovely with humans.It would be better for everyone if the dog was causght and if it does have an owner the owner can be delt with for not keeping control of the dog. If i was you, i would ring the dog warden. Good luck with it, and i am really sorry about your girl x

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 20:51 »
 :blush:
I am not sure how to view this, as I said in the beginning there was no "body" Bella arrived home at dusk when she would normally return, she is very much the worse for wear and she just wanted to be "home" so couldnt give her a good look over looks to be a bad problem with her wing and leg on the left side, may need advice and help tomorrow, she is not walking properly and I didnt want to mess about with her too much tonight she wasnt keen to eat or drink, all we could do is make her as comfy as possible and see in the morning , is that the best thing to do ??? I am afraid of making matters worse , not usually a ditherer but feel at a loss tonight, have the urge to keep checking on her but O H advised me to leave her alone and let her rest ??? Any ideas PLEASE ???
MANY thanks Ju XX

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 21:07 »
Hi , THANKGOODNESS! :) i would bring her in. i know she wants to be home, but you need to check her over. You can give baby asprin in water for pain relief, and you need to check her for injuries. Dog saliva carries all kind so if she has any kind of puncture wounds you NEED to get her to the vets for antibiotics first thing, or tonight if she is very bad. I would put her in a box somewhere quiet and warm as she will be in shock. One thing, if she has injuries on her, the others will spot it as they are drawn to blood . Its very possible they will peck and make it worse. I dont want to be a drama queen and frighten you, but i really would be checking her over tonight if she was mine!. Keep us informed :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 21:09 by dizzylizzie »

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:48 »
How is she this morning, Judrop?

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:02 »
Hi there thanks for caring ,
Bella got through the night and was first out this morning when "popped" she is drinking a lot and eating a little, I doubt she had much to drink yesterday, we have her at a chicken vet, luckily our regular vet too at 11 .20, at least for some ab, I hope she will survive she certainly deserves to !
Will post later , and thanks again all of you XX
P S have got the number of dog control at the council will give them a call tomorrow thanks for the info on that too XX
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:15 by judrop »

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 10:29 »
a
At least she is alive! Let us know how she gets on at the vets :)

judrop

• the chooks !
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 13:05 »
 :( Just got back from vet,
 after initial look he felt might be possible to patch her up, but when clipped feathers back found wound was too extensive ( massive hole in her tummy).
 So VERY sad at having to loose her , AMAZED she managed to get home , feel awful that after her working so hard to get to safety she could not be helped any more than to have her put to sleep, I feel like a traitor!
Thanks again lovely peeps xx

xx
omg fox attack

Started by ganner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 20:42
by RigsVilleBird
xx
Cat attack?

Started by Stewart P on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 21:41
by barley
xx
Fox attack

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2016, 17:43
by danfinn1
xx
Fox attack

Started by clairerey on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 08:52
by Beano

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 39 queries.