intercropping sweetcorn and beans??

• 14 Replies

spocke

intercropping sweetcorn and beans??
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:51 »
Has anybody inter planted sweetcorn with dwarf french beans?

Wondering if this would work well or will they be in too much competition?!

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
Re: intercropping sweetcorn and beans??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:56 »
I've not done it myself yet, but intend to.  They should complement each other well - if you do a search on here into 'three sisters' you'll find out more.  It's a american indian way of growing corn beans and squash to complement each other, although not sure it's entirely suitable for our climate.  Dwarf beans are probably a much better idea.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 14:08 »
I look at it this way - in the last few summers my beloved sweet corn has had enough to contend with given the weather, so additional competition for light and nutrients from any other plants doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Better summer, further South, maybe, but even then I'd stil draw the line at two sisters (sweet corn and courgettes or squashes) rather than all three.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 14:15 »
It sounds an interesting idea. I've got some dwarf borlotti beans wonder if it would work with them. Presumably youlet the sweetcorn get a certain height then put the bean seeds in next to them? Does it work with other veg say something in gaps with the brassicass
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 14:38 by Thephoenix572 »
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 19:01 »
The problem will be in getting access to pick the beans when they are ready, so I do not think that it is worth the effort. This is really a "two sisters" system, but the North American Indians were growing the beans for storage of the beans and could leave them till the end of the season.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 19:02 »
i will give it a try..i will only put a couple of bean plants on the edge of the block, cos if i could only grow 1 crop..it would be the sweetcorn(or onions, beans, new pots, carrots) ;)

devon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 20:30 »
I have used squashes for underplanting saves watering keeping the soil damp and cuts down on the weeds.
Works well for me

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 22:09 »
I grow beetroot, lettuce and spring onions between my sweetcorn. I can`t have all that space not growing anything!
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Totty

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 22:18 »
As said previously, I like to give corn the best I can in an all too short season. This Indians probably didn't have the short season problem and probably didn't grow short little F1 hybrids.  ;)
Planting squashes and pumpkins and courgettes close by and letting them trail around the corn is however an excellent use of space IMO.

Totty

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 22:32 »
I also am an advocate for the two sisters option of squash planted under sweetcorn.  Summer squash/courgettes and small winter ones are your best bet for this.

I tried doing french beans with squash and sweetcorn but always found the crop was poor. 

If you plan to grow runner beans, you might want to search Munty Frame on here - it is a great way of growing dwarf beans under runner beans, I tried it last year and will continue this way this year.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 22:34 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Kirpi

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 23:30 »
I agree with angeladavis. I tried the three sisters approach on a number of years and always found the climbing beans pulled the sweetcorn stalks over and prevented them from wind pollinating properly and dwarf beans just took nutrients from the bed that the sweetcorn could have had.

I did have success with planting a butternut squash at each end of the sweetcorn bed and training the vines through the bed toward each other, making sure the fruits are toward the bed edges so they catch the sun for ripening. The vines shade the sweetcorn so they don't need so much watering as devon said.

I used to think that growing beans with sweetcorn helped to feed the sweetcorn with extra nitrogen but sadly this has been found to be a gardener's myth.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 00:24 »
I have grown squashes and sweet corn through a weed membrane with sucess but beans have never flourished. I am sure dwarf beans would be shaded out by the sweetcorn.

Squashes always seem to produce all their fruit at the edge of the sweetcorn where they ripen well. Hardly ever produce fruit in the middle right under the shade. Have others found the same?

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33 »
"squashes always seem to produce all their fruit at the edge of the sweetcorn where they ripen well. Hardly ever produce fruit in the middle right under the shade. Have others found the same?"

I have found they do produce fruits but they never grow very big, whereas the ones that are outside the bed or are trained in that direction, swell in the sunshine.

I always pick off the fruits I know are not going to come to much, to give the main ones more energy to max out. I also bury a lareg plantpot by the squash plant so I can pour in some nettle and comfrey tea regularly.

spocke

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 18:44 »
I've tried a squash under sweetcorn a couple years ago, but the sweetcorn didn't thrive. Not sure if they were too little when planted, or didn't pollinate. Thats why I thought trying something smaller.
I'll go with the margin advise and not grow the beans in amongst the sweetcorn, but stick to the outside!

back in late summer to report how I got on.

Happy growing season all!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 19:05 »
I tried the '3 sisters' idea in 2007 - the principle is good - the squashes would have helped to prevent the soil from drying out and compacting around the corn...

...had they have actually grown!!  ::) :lol:

The beans and corn did ok - not a huge bean harvest though :)

xx
Intercropping broad beans

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 20:40
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Intercropping with cauliflower

Started by celeriac on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2020, 14:26
by celeriac
xx
intercropping question -

Started by lottieheaven on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 15:10
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Intercropping Beetroot

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 19:22
by Welsh Merf

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 40 queries.