Garlic

• 36 Replies

WG.

Garlic
« on: July 28, 2007, 13:42 »
About 10% through harvesting my garlic and mostly it has done quite well.  Bit of a relief since nothing else seems to be growing much at all.

Porcelain garlic has done best - that is the big hardneck stuff that I smoke over whisky barrel oak.  Almost half the crop has reached Grade A size (10 to 14 heads per kg when green) so I am well please.

The smaller hardneck and softneck varieties haven't done so well this year.  A few good-sized heads but most are on the small side for my liking.

mrs plumtree

Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 15:20 »
Did you grow them from seed? I've been thinking about growing some and have heard that they can be planted into the ground as cloves just bought from the grocers. Thought I might try that.

If your porcelain ones are doing so well then I might try looking for them in a seed packet.

Love the way you smoke your garlic,  how do you eat them? Roasted in the oven and eaten whole?

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 15:36 »
Use them unpeeled in sauces, hummus, casseroles, soups, gravies or simply drizzle with olive oil and roast or grill to eat as a vegetable.  Try spreading the roasted garlic flesh on toast.  Six or eight cloves inside the cavity of a chicken before roasting gives it a fabulous flavour (blend them into the gravy too).

Bottled in olive oil is fantastic

See http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2593

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 15:40 »
Quote from: "mrs plumtree"
Did you grow them from seed? I've been thinking about growing some and have heard that they can be planted into the ground as cloves just bought from the grocers.

I buy fresh porcelain seed from Canada each year.  Grocer's garlic is hit-or-miss but I've done it in the past & simply kept the best performers.

Porcelain garlic in early May (it reached 4-5ft eventually)

mrs plumtree

Garlic
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 15:51 »
4-5ft! That's amazing! Never seen it growing except in the wild and that's quite different.

I'm definately going to start growing it next year (might try a couple of shop bought cloves in sooner). Love the stuff, though OH isn't so keen sadly  :wink: . Your bottled garlic looks so good, might get my dad to help me do the same - he's good at bottling and pickling.

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 17:04 »
Wow, your garlic looks like a field of sweetcorn  :shock: - very impressive. Was the garlic planted in the autumn or did it grow to 5ft from this years planting?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

crowndale

Garlic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 17:52 »
Do you just put the garlic into the oil or do you have to prep the garlic some way first?  And how long will it keep?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

tomato-joy

Garlic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 18:46 »
you can buy porcealin garlic from the 'really garlicky company' in Scotland - im going to give them a go this year. I think it's about 50p a bulb plus p&p, of course.
trying to be organic...

Trillium

Garlic
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 18:50 »
Do you get your seeds from Boundary Garlic, WG? Can I ask what varieties you get?
This fall I'm getting Musak and Russian Red from a grower. The latter is supposed to be quite hot.

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 21:12 »
Quote from: "tomato-joy"
you can buy porcealin garlic from the 'really garlicky company' in Scotland - im going to give them a go this year. I think it's about 50p a bulb plus p&p, of course.
I barter a little with them - I supply some organic for their customers.   We both buy seed from the same place in Canada (not the place you mention Trillium).  Glen at Really Garlicky grows over 30 acres of garlic.

Autumn planting, BagPuss.

Garlic is hot smoked before I put it in oil, crowndale.  There is a risk of botulism otherwise.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Garlic
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 22:29 »
Impressive garlic WG! You supply the really garlicky company? Great stuff! I'm wondering whether to copy you and get seeds from Canada, or get seeds locally  :wink: . Being a newbie, and as I'm only producing for the Jacnal Mansions :roll: , I think local is wiser? May I ask your reasons for importing? (nosey, I know, sorry!) Is it for disease control ? If you'd rather not share I won't be offended, but I'll still be intrigued  :wink: !
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 22:39 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
You supply the really garlicky company?
Only in a very small way

Quote from: "jacnal"
May I ask your reasons for importing?
I've discussed this with several people.  My best theory - and it is only a theory - is that garlic is more vigorous if the seed is moved away from where it is produced, i.e. Canadian seed is more vigorous in Scotland than Scottish seed.  The seed garlic I produce often seems to do better for other people than it does for me.

There is also the problem of sourcing enough seed.  Really Garlicky will plant upwards of 25 tonnes of seed.  Even I plant 50kg or more.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 22:53 »
Never thought of growing garlic from seed....

.. mine has been so disappointing this year (plenty of tiny and tasty, but not much worth storing :( ) that I might try seed next year.  My onions grew very well from seed planted in the kitchen in January.

So when do you plant garlic seed so that the plants are big enough to overwinter WG?
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 22:56 »
Seed garlic simply means individual cloves. I have also grown from true garlic seed but this takes 2 or more seasons to produce usable bulbs.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 23:11 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Seed garlic simply means individual cloves. I have also grown from true garlic seed but this takes 2 or more seasons to produce usable bulbs.

!! Ah !!

Okay so this porcelain stuff....  looks totally amazing in your pic.  Did it get any rust?  (Mine all had some)

What other readily available varieties are easy?  

My best ones were cloves that I pushed into the greenhouse soil round the vine, but even they were weedy compared to your forest of garlic!

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 17:13
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 36 queries.