Raspberries - what to do?

• 2 Replies

Libby

« on: December 06, 2008, 18:50 »
Hello.  I have just inherited an allotment plot with a 30 ft row of raspberry bushes, together with some raspberry bushes at the back of the plot, which are in shade.  They look very vigorous.  The plan was to plant raspberry bushes from scratch until I saw the bushes already in place!  Could anyone offer advice re pruning and the position of the bushes?  I have seen raspberries in other plots that still hold fruit so I am assuming that mine are summer fruiting as there is not a raspberry in sight, but appreciate this isn't a very accurate way of going on!  Many thanks.  :rendeer:

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 19:07 »
If the plants are vigorous, then the love where they are now so I'd not move them. They don't like transplanting much and it will set them back a few years to recover.  What you need to find out is whether they're summer fruiting or fall fruiting/everbearing. I imagine some neighbour plotters would recall when they saw berries on your plants.

for now, just cut out all dead and diseased canes, do any bit of weeding that you can, and spread loads of old muck around the bushes so they're ready for spring. By then you should know  what type you have and can prune accordingly. I wouldn't prune now as you might have summer fruiters which are on this years canes.

Libby

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 13:20 »
Hello.  Thanks so much for the advice.  I will do just that and wait until I meet my next door neighbour and check the status of the raspberries.  I am going to the allotment later on and will do a bit of weeding and cut out any diseased canes.   :flower:

clip
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 22:10
by snowdrops
xx
Raspberries

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 20:44
by Lesleyk
clip
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 10:14
by BussinSpain
xx
Raspberries

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 07:22
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 37 queries.