Brussels Sprouts

• 3 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Brussels Sprouts
« on: October 03, 2015, 00:31 »
Hi all
can anyone tell me why my Sprouts are large, loose, and leafy they are not round and tight, they look like they have flared open.

Plot holder next to me  says it might be that I planted them to early but I sowed them as the packet says

Thanks

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
Re: Brussels Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 08:00 »
From the grow your own section of this website!

"Wind rock and lack of nutrients is the most common cause of “blown” sprouts. The buttons become loose rather than tight and firm . Removing the blown sprouts and giving some additional feeding with a high nitrogen liquid fertiliser may stop the problem."

Hope this helps

lettice

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13 »
The important thing about sprouts is to make sure you plant them in firmly.
I plant rows of sprouts around my maincrop potato plot, as the soil on the edge stays firm and that area gets a good dose of compost, before planting.
I always plant some in the same plot that my broad beans were in once they have finished and carefully pulled up, still lovely firm and fertile soil from your bean beds.
I have had the odd blown sprout, in the past. If you catch them early and remove the single blown one you may be lucky. Be wise to make sure that the plant is still firmed in well and you can always earth up to help it firm in.
I do put some string, up to around 12 inches around the sprouts, just so they don't get too wind blown, especially in the autumn when we tend to get the stronger winds.
One more thing, sprouts should not sit in water or be over watered, so let the rain do its job and only water when very dry. This year, they have little manual watering. Obviously that loosens the soil more.
Had the first few pickings of sprouts already this year for the earliest ones I put in, they have done very well this year. Keep picking to early next year.
I grow Groninger and Crispus varieties.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:26 by lettice »

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:01 »
This is the first year i have got good sprouts. But its also the first year of growing in a Wonderwall Netting Tunnel.
I have planted them in un dug ground covered with weed membrane and planted through it.
My garden, as did my allotment, when i had it, suffers from very strong winds and the Wonderwall defuses this and stops the rocking. Cabbages too were good in the wonderwall.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

xx
brussels sprouts

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 10, 2021, 14:31
by jezza
xx
brussels sprouts

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 27, 2023, 20:54
by meterman
xx
Brussels sprouts

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 18:58
by moose
xx
brussels sprouts

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 20:43
by Kristen

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 35 queries.