overwintering onions

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

overwintering onions
« on: May 18, 2022, 21:38 »
we have in the past sowed onions from seed firstly in modules then pricked out in pots to overwinter in the greenhouse but although we do get some onion plants that we can plant out in the spring its a bit hit and miss

following on from that I've been  told onions for overwintering do best in a cold frame or under a plastic sheet like a plastic hoop like John was talking about in his news letter so I'm thinking about trying this method sowing under a hoop or poly sheet

I know its a bit early to think about Autumn sowings but its always best to get advise prior to sowings so do i sow the seed in the greenhouse then prick them out and sow the plants individually in rows under the poly sheet or poly hoops ?

the variety I'm going to grow  subject to advise is a Japanese [overwintering variety] Element [Moles seeds] so to get the best advise why not ask the professional growers or gardeners on this site what they think on this topic  :unsure:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: overwintering onions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 17:37 »
we have in the past sowed onions from seed firstly in modules then pricked out in pots to overwinter in the greenhouse but although we do get some onion plants that we can plant out in the spring its a bit hit and miss

following on from that I've been  told onions for overwintering do best in a cold frame or under a plastic sheet like a plastic hoop like John was talking about in his news letter so I'm thinking about trying this method sowing under a hoop or poly sheet

I know its a bit early to think about Autumn sowings but its always best to get advise prior to sowings so do i sow the seed in the greenhouse then prick them out and sow the plants individually in rows under the poly sheet or poly hoops ?

the variety I'm going to grow  subject to advise is a Japanese [overwintering variety] Element [Moles seeds] so to get the best advise why not ask the professional growers or gardeners on this site what they think on this topic  :unsure:

FWIW, I will be sowing Yellow Granex in mid to late summer to plant and over-winter as a short-day onion.  It is a sweet onion variety, but more adapted to southern climates.  They might do well for you, but others may have better suggestions.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

cc

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 16:35 »

[/quote]

FWIW, I will be sowing Yellow Granex in mid to late summer to plant and over-winter as a short-day onion.  It is a sweet onion variety, but more adapted to southern climates.  They might do well for you, but others may have better suggestions.
[/quote]
Is that plant outside and let them overwinter outside?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 05:24 »
I will start seed in seed mix indoors, transitioning to outdoors when seedlings are far enough along.  They will be planted in the ground outdoors to overwinter.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 07:45 »
as stated before i tried with some spare seed [ailsa craig] last year late summer then moved outside to overwinter under a cloche then moved to cell trays they are now out and doing well i know there is a chance they might go to seed [2nd year] our same year onions rarely do will keep updating.
from bow like to grow

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 13:58 »
as stated before i tried with some spare seed [ailsa craig] last year late summer then moved outside to overwinter under a cloche then moved to cell trays they are now out and doing well i know there is a chance they might go to seed [2nd year] our same year onions rarely do will keep updating.

I looked up Ailsa Craig, it is a long day onion, so usually does not bulb until the long days of summer.  Long day onions are usually the best adapted to northern areas.

I suspect you are right that there's a chance they could go to seed next year if overwintered.

xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
Overwintering onions are in.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 10:31
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Overwintering onions

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 18:55
by beansticks
xx
Overwintering onions

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 19:08
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 42 queries.