After spuds!

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: After spuds!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 22:05 »
Please elaborate on this trench because I tried the same thing last year, dug out a trench and filled it up with waste materials but when the time came to start work on it the waste material had shrunk to nothing so I was left with a deepish trench that I tried to level up with the neighbouring soil. Everything is fine so far. Nice runner beans, no infection  but what is the proper way to go about this, please?

Your waste material can't have literally shrunk to absolutely nothing, although obviously it will have reduced in volume as it rots down - the soil you excavated to make the trench should more than compensate for that when you cover the trench to plant your beans in.

The reason many people (including me) get away with growing beans in the same bed every year is that there are very few persistent soil-borne diseases they are subject to (the process of digging a new trench, filling it with organic material, and back-filling with soil, preferably from an adjacent area, is nearly as good as rotation anyway.) 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: After spuds!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 22:19 »
Dig a trench about a spade width and deep, line it with  a thick layer of paper then add your veg peeling, apple cores, cabbage stems torn cardboard - anything that will rot and cover with a thin layer of soil to deter foxes, then add another layer etc etc until it's full. Mound up the rest of the earth you removed over the trench, and mark each end with a cane.
It will sink level as the compost materials rot down, but shouldn't be lower than it was because you have put back as much earth as you dug out.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 22:21 by mumofstig »

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
Spuds have come........oh oh what have I done?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 11:22
by Kagganz
xx
spuds

Started by woodsmoke on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 23:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 34 queries.