Ceramic plug-in Heaters

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Ceramic plug-in Heaters
« on: September 26, 2022, 14:47 »
I keep seeing adverts for these devices.  I wonder if you have one, or know about them.   What do you think ?
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Ceramic plug-in Heaters
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 18:20 »
They are a form of electric heater, designed to heat small areas rather maintaining a consistent temperature in whole rooms (a bit like a fan heater).

So it depends what you want them for, to decide whether they would cost a fortune to use.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 11:01 »
I'd stay away from getting one because there will be many firms "plugging" their products and, until you know for sure that they are more economical to use, you could be paying more for heat than you need to do.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 11:53 »
I don't know about ceramic plug-in heaters, but I did buy a heated clothes airer last year.  It was pretty cheap as it had already gone out on mail order and been sent back, so brand new and undamaged, but the box had been opened and some packaging replaced.

It is pretty good at being a clothes airer, much cheaper to run than a tumble dryer and also heats a room.  If I put it on downstairs in the dining room, the heat spreads around into the living room and kitchen.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 12:10 »

What happened to the "Ceramic engine" that was mentioned on "Tomorrows World" many years ago?  Apparently it would run hot and not need coolant. ::)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 13:00 »
Apart from the adverts for them, I don't think I've seen a good review tbh, so be very careful.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 15:16 »
They seem to be quite efficient at converting electricity into heat, but then again electricity is currently about 3 times as expensive as gas per kWh (pun not intended!)

If you want to save money on central heating by sometimes heating only one room, a gas fire would produce the same heat output more cheaply and, unlike most ceramic heaters, should be able to heat a fairly large room.

Clearly, if you haven't got one that's not an option (they're obviously not portable either.)

Horses for courses I suppose.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 23:54 »
I don't know about ceramic plug-in heaters, but I did buy a heated clothes airer last year.  It was pretty cheap as it had already gone out on mail order and been sent back, so brand new and undamaged, but the box had been opened and some packaging replaced.

It is pretty good at being a clothes airer, much cheaper to run than a tumble dryer and also heats a room.  If I put it on downstairs in the dining room, the heat spreads around into the living room and kitchen.

I have been known to use my heated clothes airer for this purpose too. It wasn't cheap when I bought it some years ago, and is even more expensive now, but as I already have it, it's worth having it as an option

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 16:43 »
I have a ceramic space heater.  Mine works just fine.  This website gives you the advantages and disadvantages: https://discover.hubpages.com/living/Ceramic-Heaters-Advantages-and-Disadvantages

Be aware that some of these heaters (like mine) have a cool-down period when you shut it off, it may run for an additional minute after you push the off button.  I think this is a means of cooling the heating element in a controlled way so that the heater lasts longer (but I'm not 100% sure).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 46 queries.