What is the plot giving you for Christmas?

• 15 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
What is the plot giving you for Christmas?
« on: December 18, 2019, 20:00 »
I am hoping to brave the mud and harvest leeks, cabbage and swede for our dinner.  Our roast potatoes will come from the shed and there might be some roast squash as well if the plot paths prove impassable  ::)  There are also onions in the shed for the gravy and dried herbs from the garden to add to whatever needs them.

I have bought an indulgent (but not traditional) pud and there are berries in the freezer to lighten it up.   

There is quince brandy and gooseberry gin for a tipple that evening and various pickles and chutneys to go with teatime sandwiches if we are peckish.  If we want some greenery with these, the greenhouse is sporting pots of salad leaves  :)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: What is the plot giving you for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 20:30 »
Not that much this year.
carrots parsnips and leeks.
no greens.
all potatoes have been used.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 21:17 »
Not a lot , i think there are Parsnips but until i dig a few at the weekend the quality is unknown but they have to be better than the tiny supermarket ones !
A couple of handfuls of baby Leeks and plenty of Spring Onions and the choice of two Crown Prince Squashes that are left on the rack in the kitchen.

I do have extra Pigs in Blankets to compensate for my veg growing shortfalls ! :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 22:10 »
Unless we have a drought and and heatwave to dry the soil absolutely nothing as I can't get the parsnips and salsify out of the ground currently! There is some cavalo nero in the polytunnel but I don't fancy that for Christmas dinner...

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 09:41 »
Going to try wade my way through the paddy field that were paths to get to the raised beds with Parsnips, carrots and beetroot still in them, will do nicely with some of the red onions I have in storage as roast veg.  Sprouts were a complete disaster this year but I think I have one Kalette plant that has survived so will take that as well. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 10:11 »
On the plot, there are leeks, a few small celeriac, swede, cabbage,  in store squash and onions, but they aren't keeping well in this damp weather. No potatoes, they were dire this year :(
Preserves to go with the gammon - quince jelly, redcurrant jelly plus rhubarb & apple chutney and a jar of pickled red cabbage from the only plant that survived  ::)
No winter salads this year - botrytis in the greenhouse *grumble grumble*
I did freeze a tray of the best raspberries for the top of the Boxing day cheesecake, though, the rest made lots of jam :D

When I make a list like this, I realise that yes, a few of my usual crops did fail this year, but it wasn't a total write off either......  Here's to next year, everyone  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33 »
On the plot, there are leeks, a few small celeriac ...

I have never managed to grow a celeriac bigger than a ping pong ball, so you are doing better than me there  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:56 »
Er, some leeks! I don't suppose mud-covered grass, creeping buttercup and other nasty weeds count.  :blush:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Mintyboy

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 13:15 »
Only sprouts this year, I picked them a week ago and froze them just in case I couldn't get to the plot again, good job I did.
And a couple of 'Baby Bear' pumpkins out of the store for the pumpkin pie for pudding.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 13:41 »
Snips, leeks, swede, kale, sprouts, spuds, onions, beetroot, broad beans, eggs and probably a few other bits here n there.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 13:17 »
I have work tomorrow and Christmas Eve, so got my harvesting done today.

From the plot were leeks, swede, Gilfeathers Turnip-swede, some khol rabi I stuck in very late and then just left as they were doing nothing at the time and some mini savoy.  We had loads of huge cabbages over autumn, but the winter ones are pretty puny.  Never mind, I have some greens to put on the plate and they will do  :)

I also got spuds, onions and a squash out of the shed  :)
IMG_3343 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_3344 (768x1024).jpg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 13:19 by New shoot »

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 16:09 »
 apart from a few leeks all our plots are giving us is  grief its to wet to plough to wet to dig the raised beds in fact we can't do anything till the weather decides to get a tad warmer that's not going to happen till spring  :mad:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 21:52 »
Couple of winter squash in the shed - apart from that only parsnips, which look pretty good after a bit of cosmetic surgery!   :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 10:33 »
For the main meal of the day: parsnips, carrots, sprouts, swede, pots (from storage) and celeriac; with beetroot, leeks, onions, cabbage, kale and squash to provide other nourishment over the holidays. Plenty of frozen berries, jams and chutneys as accompaniments.

Mr Dog

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 12:52 »
A slightly odd looking carrot...
IMG_20191224_111200.jpg

xx
Chatting on the Christmas Day Plot

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

61 Replies
Last post December 29, 2020, 05:17
by Growster...
xx
Giving up my allotment.

Started by miggs on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 16:48
by Growster...
xx
Emoji on here, giving up using them

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post October 06, 2022, 13:55
by mrs bouquet
xx
On giving up 'The Patch'...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post October 20, 2018, 23:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 55 queries.