Which pans?

• 6 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Which pans?
« on: June 20, 2011, 19:51 »
Hi all,
my new kitchen is looming, i need to buy new pans as I'm going for an induction hob.
Opinions seem to vary on the best type, some suggesting cast iron, others going for anodised stainless steel sandwich type pans.
What do you think - cast iron would last a good old while but are going to be heavy and I'm thinking difficult to clean. Non stick easier to clean but not as long-lasting. Also I don't want anything which is likely to scratch the surface of the hob.
Thanks,
JMW

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Re: Which pans?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 20:05 »
I'm a big fan of this range. Even the non-stick is guaranteed for 10 years! I find cast iron far too heavy. http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Judge_Vista_Non_Stick.html
Incidentally, I recently got some of these from The Original Factory Shop in Caernarfon (don't know if it's nationwide) and their prices were excellent.
Val
Recipes Galore!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 22:15 »
Oh Janey, I love my induction hob, best thing I've bought for ages!

After buying it, I realised that almost all my pans, including my 2 Judge frying pans which I loved, and my new pressure cooker were polished aluminium so no good!

We went into Tesco and I bought 2 saucepans and a frying pan in stainless steel from their cook chop range (I think that's what its called!) and the frying pan is non stick and has quite steep sides, so good for all sorts of things.

I also bought a set of 3 saucepans online, they ae okay, but I didn't notice when I bought them that the bottoms of 2 of them don't cover the whole ring on the hob.  So I prefer the straight sided ones from Tesco.

(Okay okay, I know, I don't usually say anything nice about Tesco!!!)  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 22:19 by GrannieAnnie »

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 16:15 »
Thanks both! GA you've reminded me i don't know the diameter of the "rings" so I'd better check that out, thanks!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 17:05 »
There is one induction hob that the whole hob is magnetised, so it doesn't matter what size the pans are!  But it only heats up the bit that the pan is sitting on!  Bet that one is expensive!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 20:46 »
I love  my induction hob too. I use Le Creuset triply ply stainless saucepans on it and they're fantastic. They're very responsive on the hob, very good to cook in and very easy to clean, and they look nice too. I also have a Le Creuset non-stick frying pan (I can't do fried eggs without non-stick!) which works perfectly on it. The trouble with cast iron is it does take longer to heat up than stainless and a lot longer to cool down, which kind of defeats the object of using a responsive induction hob.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:07 »
There is one induction hob that the whole hob is magnetised, so it doesn't matter what size the pans are!  But it only heats up the bit that the pan is sitting on!  Bet that one is expensive!

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:  never was any good at science  :lol: So does that mean you could cram extra pans on it on Christmas day? At the moment I'm down to 3 gas rings!

xx
Jam Pans

Started by n.b83 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 21:35
by sunshineband
xx
Patty Pans

Started by Ema on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 09:12
by mumofstig
xx
What pans do you use on your woodburner top?

Started by Mosslane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

46 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 10:48
by Spana
xx
Brass jam pans

Started by SamnElla on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:19
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.