Egg bound?

• 3 Replies

parks1

Egg bound?
« on: August 20, 2010, 18:01 »
The day before yesterday I noticed that one of my chickens had blood around his neck, in panic I thought we had lost one but then found it in the chicken house.  A bit quiet so assumed they had had a little bit of a fight.  Next day the quiet chicken was sitting down a lot in the dips in the ground they have made and when she stood up I was shocked to see her rear end had lost all it's fluff, she seemed to be straining but not able to pass anything, i suspected she was trying to lay an egg.  After googling seems her symptoms pointed to possibly being egg bound. I would add she was also reluctant to eat but was drinking.  This morning she seemed brighter but her rear looked awful, coming home from work tonight she seems to have lost even more feathers and is actually pulling them herself, she is now interested in her food, but still sitting around more than usual and not joining the others.  I have observed that she is not being bullied.  She has passed normal poo but was leaking what I undersand the be wee (white liquid).
Sorry this seems very long winded but some advise please.  We are new to keeping chickens and until now everything as been brilliant.  I would add someone is laying very large eggs, and I did hear that this can cause a hen to be egg bound in young hens.  We bought these just before they came into lay and have had them for approx 8-10 weeks.  

Just stood outside watching, she is definitly livlier that last night but is picking at her bottom a lot and shaking her head, I did see another chicken taking a peck. 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 18:29 by parks1 »

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
Re: Egg bound?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 18:07 »
Poor girl.  Hope some one can help soon.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 18:10 »
until someone more knowledgeable comes alomg you could put 'egg bound' in the search box on the top right of the page and look through previous threads for advice
good luck :)

parks1

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 19:00 »
Update,
just looked closely (husband home) and rear end stinks!!
Help!!
We have now bathed her and felt for an egg but can't find anything, but she is very much brighter but still pulling the feathers. 
So new to this really not sure.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 19:36 by parks1 »

xx
Egg bound

Started by suep on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:06
by poultrygeist
question
Egg Bound

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 11:56
by kegs
xx
Is She Egg Bound?

Started by pookey on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 22:25
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
how do you know if a hen is egg bound

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 13:43
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 35 queries.