baby chick bullying

• 1 Replies

denise and joe

baby chick bullying
« on: September 02, 2009, 16:50 »
hi i have two chicks and they are 2 weeks old and the one is bigger than the other. we left them today when we went to town and came back to find the one had been badly cut or bitten on the neck we werent sure what had happened so we watched them for a while an the found the bigger one was picking on the other around the neck. we split them up and now they are crying for each other. any suggestions, thanks :)

Lydia-Maria

Re: baby chick bullying
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 18:00 »
Hi Denise and Joe,
that is a shame,you could try scattering their food, instead of feeding from a feeder (if you are) so that they are kept busy foraging.
Is it just natural pecking order,working out between themselves who is the boss,or a lot more than that?
Is it possible to have them separated by fine wire mesh so they can still see each other,smell each other and 'talk' to each other.Once the bullied chick has recovered it would be nicer for them to get along.
Are they the same breed of chicken?
I am sorry that I can't be more help,but someone else who has had this problem will be able to advise you a lot better.I do know that you can get anti-pecking rings,but,I don't know if these are suitable for young 2 week old chicks,probably not.
Good luck and let us know what happens with them.
Lydia

xx
Baby chick

Started by Xxluke11xX on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 18:45
by Xxluke11xX
xx
Help with our first new baby chick

Started by tbjdiamonddog on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 07:31
by Chablis Dog
xx
baby chick

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 16:55
by slowef
xx
baby chick

Started by fruitcup on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 16:37
by joyfull

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.