Rough shelled egg

• 8 Replies

raeburg

Rough shelled egg
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:02 »
One of my ex-batts was decidley out of sorts yesterday.  I found her standing  in the run whilst everyone else was outside looking very fluffed up, listless and fed up.  There were a lot of feathers in the run so i checked her out to see if there had been any feather pecking, but she's moulting at the moment so it's hard to tell.  Her vent looked red and chapped so I got the vaseline to put on it.  Picked her up and out popped an egg with the roughest shell on it.  It felt like sandpaper, i wouldn't have like to pass it :) .  She didn't seem any brighter after so I popped her in the house and she settled in one of the nest boxes.  She seems brighter this morning but not 100%.  Is there anything I can do to help improve the shell?  They have layers pellets, green stuff, corn for bedtime, access to oystershell grit, ACV in the water.

Vember

Rough shelled egg
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 10:10 »
Hi Rae

Sorry to hear you girls been feeling under the weather :(

The thing with ex bats is they need a lot more calcium, than most hens.
When all the calcium they have is going into the egg shell their bones are missing out :(

It might be an idea to get some limestone flour to add to their feed to give them that bit more Calcium.
You can get it from most horsey feed places as it is apparently given to foals.

I shall have a look for the link regarding how much to give, I can never remember  :lol:

HERE WE GO -  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=21954&highlight=limestone+flour

Sarah :)

raeburg

Rough shelled egg
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:53 »
Ta Sarah.  Off to the feed shop I go :)  They seem to be eating so much more anyway now that the weather has turned cold.  I put some liquid calcium in their porridge this morning as I thought it might help.  Now where's my 10% off countrywide voucher?

raeburg

Rough shelled egg
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 18:51 »
limestone flour is now added and everyone's gone to bed.  except the chicks, they are noisy stopouts!  kids thought it exceptionally funny to find me cleaning the chicks out with one perched on my head  :roll:

The off colour hen seemed a lot better this evening (although I don't think she's laid today (only 6 eggs) although she's even more wary of me now.  

Thanks

Rae

Bodger

Rough shelled egg
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 18:55 »
I'm nearly sure that there's a disease or a condition that causes these eggs, I'll see what I can find out. :D

Vember

Rough shelled egg
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 18:55 »
Quote from: "raeburg"
 except the chicks, they are noisy stopouts!  kids thought it exceptionally funny to find me cleaning the chicks out with one perched on my head  :roll:

:lol:  I get that with the young turkey (Paxo) bend over and he's on my back  :lol:

Sarah :)

Foxy

Rough shelled egg
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 19:27 »
The rough shell is caused by calcium deposits given the shell that "roughened" appearance, this is not unusual in older hens and particualry ex-bats, their laying machinery goes a little "awry".
 There are diseases that can affect shell quality -namely infectious bronchitis, this wouldn't be the case as yours are ex-bats and tend to be very healthy and vaccinated against everything under the sun anyway.
Sounds like the diet you are giving them is spot on, I would however, keep a close eye on her -it could be just a fast moult making her feel out of sorts -I have a few "porcupines" at the moment and boy are they miserable! :shock:
You could give a little extra protein if it is a big moult -not too much though -a little cat food perhaps to give a boost for feather growth. :D

raeburg

Rough shelled egg
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:05 »
Ta Foxy, I'll try her with some extra protein (she appreciated some mealworm the other night).  She looked a hell of a lot better again today.  She really seems to have lost a great number of feathers from her tail and backwards.  She was one of the better feathered birds when they arrived, whereas the four "oven-ready" ones now look lovely, the other four are now moulting.

violet

• Experienced Member
Rough shelled egg
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 16:50 »
One of my two ducks lays "rough" eggs... sometimes really rough ouch!!!! she appears very well, lays every day, eats the same as the other duck (they are always side by side)... She hasn't always done it...don't know why she does now... started a couple of months ago...

xx
rough egg shell

Started by mambo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 10:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
rough egg shell

Started by cals chicks on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 11:40
by Chicken Pete
xx
really rough cockerel

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 22:46
by pushrod
xx
Its not just battery hens that get it rough !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 22:38
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 39 queries.