Building a little equipment store - please help!

• 5 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Building a little equipment store - please help!
« on: August 11, 2012, 00:30 »
Hi all,

Having finally, finally transported, rebuilt and completed my free greenhouse - it's only taken a year  but I'm proud of it! - and having learned that I'm actually capable of using a cordless drill-driver, my  confidence in my new-found construction skills knows no bounds.

Therefore I've decided my next project is going to be a little store for all my plant pots, trays, etc.  Something along the lines of one of those low Keter-type sheds that you can hide your bin or your bike in, but with an open front instead of doors.

I was reckoning on making the "legs" at the corners from some scaffolding planks I have, with a sheet of ply at the back and a sloping roof made from a polycarbonate sheet I also have. There'll be a couple of shelves inside across the length and width of the structure.

As I'm a novice at this kind of stuff, please has anyone tried anything similar, or does anyone have any tips?

Thank you!

Pim.
I don't really look like my avatar.

grendel

Re: Building a little equipment store - please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:17 »
just go with instinct, you will probably end up with something that is over engineered (ie a lot stronger than it really needs to be), but it will be sturdy, and you will have built it yourself. plan where your shelves will be and use the positions to make the horizontal rails at the ends that space the legs, as these will also support the shelves. if you are going to put a lot of weight on the shelves, consider horizontals to support them front and back too.
maybe draw a sketch to work out what you need, plan how you are going to join parts, and support parts, shelves should have a ledge at the ends to support them (you dont want to rely on a screw into the end of a shelf to support it, you would effectively only have the strength of half the thickness of the shelf as support).
Think whether you need an intermediate leg at the front or a horizontal beam across to support the front edge of the roof. work out if you want the roof to slope to the front or to the back and whether you will be putting a gutter on to collect rainwater into a butt (this could determine the height of the roof).
if you use plywood, make sure it is exterior grade (shuttering ply is great stuff, not so pretty to look at as they dont always fill the knot holes- but its cheap and weatherproof).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:38 »

No matter how large your 'shed' is,  it will never be large enough ! ! ! ! :lol:

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

kegs

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 13:13 »
Not quite the same but Twoflower built a tool store out of pallets which you could try.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=92743.msg1041488#msg1041488

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:14 »
Thanks very much, all, for your replies - very helpful, and gives me the confidence now to have a crack!

Grendel, I'll take your advice and do a plan. It doesn't have to look too pretty, as long as it stays in one piece!  :D

grendel

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:22 »
a plan (or sketch) sometimes helps you visualise the project, then you can ask yourself 'how can I attach that bit', or 'I need to do that part before I join on that other part', so its a very good way to proceed.
best of luck with the project.
Grendel

xx
Building a shelter

Started by Andy1981 on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 19:11
by grinling
xx
Greenhouse building

Started by Rich72 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2015, 20:06
by archibtbm
xx
Building own polytunnel

Started by Longshanks on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2017, 11:58
by Miamivice
xx
building a raised bed

Started by rowlandwells on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 05:52
by Sideshoot

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 37 queries.