electric propagators

• 9 Replies

LILLILEAF

electric propagators
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:48 »
I have been thinking about buying one,can any one give some advice of which is best and what to avoid,help welcome.Lillileaf

Paul Plots

Re: electric propagators
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 21:49 »
    Just spotted your post... I'm surprised no one came up with a response.  :ohmy:

Here's my bit of advice if I'm not too late:

I have four propagators - all slightly different.

• One is a simple window-sill flat plastic "tray" on to which fits three 1/2 size seed trays each with a cover. So I guess this is simply a heated under-mat. It works pretty well but doesn't hold a lot.
    • The second one is standard seed tray size and looks like a seed-tray with a wire sticking out and a plastic cover. I bought this from a well known national DIY store.
    • The third and fourth are larger and posher jobs and belonged to my father. Each holds 2 full sized seed trays with a bit of room to spare.

It depends what size you want. but prices vary. If you can run to one with a thermostat it makes life a great deal easier in the long run. One of the two propagators that belonged to my father has a thermostat so I can choose the interal temperature and not worry about it over heating or chilling. The thermostat does all the work of keeping the temperature stable. It can also work out a little cheaper on the electricity because it does not need to run all the time.

Sorry I cannot give you tips on a best manufacturer or supplier but all of mine were bought many years ago.

If you have any questions relating to this post - please let me know & I'll do my best to answer.

Just noticed that Compostqueen suggest you could do a search for info on propagators as there have been other posts about this topic elsewhere - even so hope you find my tuppence-worth useful.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 21:55 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46 »
Thanks for the information,i hope to get a large 52cm heat controlled one,i have not bought one yet but i am getting close,i will also have a greenhouse this time that will give me more options on what i grow.Lillileaf

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 01:51 »
Thanks for the information,i hope to get a large 52cm heat controlled one,i have not bought one yet but i am getting close,i will also have a greenhouse this time that will give me more options on what i grow.Lillileaf

If you haven't already made your purchase you might be lucky enough to find one reduced in the post Christmas sales.

(Best time for Christmas shopping.... not that I'd get away with waiting for prices to drop for Christmas shopping)  :(

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 07:42 »
Thats just what i have been waiting for finding one reduced,no luck yet,i will keep looking thank you

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 21:37 »
If I spot anything I'll let you know.... perhaps other people will do the same.

Good luck with the search.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 21:50 »
I see from m your other thread that you are building your own staging for your new greenhouse, you could have a soil warming cable on your bench & build a cover for it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 21:52 »
I see from m your other thread that you are building your own staging for your new greenhouse, you could have a soil warming cable on your bench & build a cover for it.

Good idea especially if a thermostat is added.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 07:18 »
I've been growing for 50 years and never found the need for one. Polythene bags and seed trays are cheap!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 18:33 »
I've been growing for 50 years and never found the need for one. Polythene bags and seed trays are cheap!

I've only plugged my father's electric propagator in a couple of times over the last few years. It's hard to find a space I am allowed to use so I put it in the aviary - the budgies didn't mind.

Plastic-bags, small sheets of Perspex and the odd piece of glass and a very warm window-sill or table top in the sun works very well. My problem is grabbing and defending the few spaces that we have available in our place. MY OH has nearly all of the space in the conservatory for orchids and upholstery and sewing and quilt making.

Thank heavens for my allotment shed (my space - all mine) - shame it's under the trees over the road. Shady but protected from rain and wind. Can't have everything in life.

I might plug the propper-thingy in this year though.... even if the electric bill worries me a bit.

xx
Electric propagators

Started by GraciesGran on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2023, 07:11
by jezza
xx
electric propagators

Started by ilan on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 09:50
by Lawrence
xx
Electric Propagators

Started by jenricks on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2021, 00:54
by Fishplate42
xx
Cheap electric propagators

Started by mashauk on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:17
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 39 queries.