help with my howard 200 rotavator

• 9 Replies

nick t

help with my howard 200 rotavator
« on: February 13, 2012, 18:00 »
hi all

I have just got a howard 200 it still has the villier mk12 engine but is seized. So I am think of just unbolting it and replacing it with a honda copy of ebay, are they any good? and which engine size would i need 3.5hp 4.5hp all 5hp any help would be great all any other ideas to help me getting it running again.

thanks nick

Gwiz

Re: help with my howard 200 rotavator
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:42 »
It might be worth trying to unseize the Villiers, hone it out, new set of piston rings and keep it original too. ;)
You might be better off in the long run.
Cautionary tale....
I had one of those Honda copies in the shop a little while back. The markings (model name and type) had been on a sticker which had fallen off. It needed a new air filter as the old one was clogged up. I couldn't match it up at all, and no-one was able to supply me a Chinese copy filter. It seems that people are willing to sell you a engine, but unwilling to supply you service parts for it. The ultimate "Built in obsolescence"? ::)

nick t

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 20:09 »
little update
I have unseize the engine, duck oil down the plug hole and left for few days help with that. i have also stripped the carb and given it a clean it all seems ok. now theres no spark any idea on this problem would really help me out

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:40 »
You will find a set of points and a condenser behind the flywheel.

CAUTION!!!

On modern engines the flywheel is "Keyed" onto the crankshaft. This sets the timing so it can't be "out".
On some of the old Villiers engines, this isn't the case so in effect the flywheel can be up to 359 degrees out. Before you do anything like trying to remove the flywheel, make sure you mark line-up points on the flywheel and the crankshaft I used some tippex when I did the last one).
I expect you might find that the points have closed up or the surfaces are corroded and need to be re-faced. New parts can be bought from a company in Epsom called "Meetens"

smud6ie

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:37 »
If you follow the HT lead back to the case behind the flywheel,there is a Bakelite/plastic piece that unscrews,this  has a spring loaded contact screwed into the lead and maintains  contact with the coil,this can get dirty or short out with dead insects and weaken the spark. Care is needed unscrewing this as it can get quite brittle.
As gwiz suggests,the most likely cause are the points but these old coils are susceptible to damp which may be recovered if dried very slowly.
The best method I have found to tighten the FW nut is to slide it on the crankshaft ,making sure you you don't bend the lever that operates the points as you push it on.
Line up the marks you have made (always supposing the engine was working OK in its past life) and tighten the nut slightly making  sure the CS does not turn..hold a tube or large socket over the nut and against the FW and give it a tap to push it further onto the CS taper.The nut will feel very loose at this point so slowly tighten with a spanner until there is resistance,keep repeating until the nut is fully tight.
If you don't get this nut correctly tightened the first time it starts or tries to start the engine will go out of time or not start at all.
The points gap is 12 to 15 thou and should commence to open when the piston is 3/16 BTDC
smud6ie
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:47 by smud6ie »

nick t

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52 »
thanks for the replys

wish i had read this info a few hours ago, this morning i took the fly wheel off to take a look at the points. so i havent marked the flywheel with the engine, have now got myself into alot of trouble with the timeing?

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:29 »
If the flywheel wasn't keyed onto the shaft.....
Yes, but recoverable. I'm sure I saw a youtube video about it once....

smud6ie

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 13:04 »
thanks for the replys

wish i had read this info a few hours ago, this morning i took the fly wheel off to take a look at the points. so i havent marked the flywheel with the engine, have now got myself into alot of trouble with the timeing?

It won't be keyed so if you can't find any previous marks then its a head off job to set it up now!..If the gasket is the type with asbestos sandwiched between two copper sheets then you may get away with re using it.

edit: just found the vid that gwiz mentioned

n6e4nIJ5o-Esmud6ie
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 13:14 by smud6ie »

nick t

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 19:45 »
good news it runs thanks for all your help

the next problem i have is there is no throttle cable on it so if anyone has a howard 200 with a villiers engine and could take a picture for me to help me get an understanding of the set up that would really help.

I also need a new exhaust and drive belt, new oil in the engine and gearbox also the pull start needs freeing up then a lick of orange paint, sould keep me busy

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 13:47 »
You are the Man. When you will finish this project, please don't forget to upload some photos  :D

xx
howard 300 rotavator

Started by david2000 on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 22:09
by david2000
xx
Howard 200 rotavator

Started by mitzygolf on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2020, 20:24
by mitzygolf
clip
Howard 350 Rotavator help

Started by Mark Noble on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2022, 21:07
by jezza
xx
Howard rotavator 400

Started by Fork handle on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 11:51
by Fork handle

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 38 queries.