Cooking Sausages

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Cooking Sausages
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:27 »
Chatting to a friend who is even more aged than me !  We talked about cooking sausages.   I said I love them, but never cook them (I only ever grill them) because of the splashing and burning onto the grill ect.   
She said, to put them into the pan with half a cup of water in it, and it won't splash at all  !!!
Have you ever heard of this, or do you do it ?   If not what do you recommend.  I currently have Heck Chicken ones, but I am sure I will revert to a good pork banger  :D  Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cooking Sausages
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 14:25 »
I cook mine in an omelette size pan with a lid on, easy peasy. They cook but don't get very brown unless you remove the lid at the end but I don't mind them pale.
Or when the grandkids are around I cook them in the small top oven - usually with oven chips for them  :D

Missey

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 16:53 »
We really like Lidl outdoor bred pork sausages they do both chipolata & normal and just do them in the oven

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 19:33 »
I am going to Lidl on Tuesday, they are now on the list  :D  Mrs B

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 21:04 »
Mine go in the oven, too. I cannot bear standing over things while they cook, so I almost never grill or fry anything. I have a halogen oven, which does most things very nicely, and does fabulous sausages. My mother uses one of those George Foreman thingummies which works well for her.

I don’t suppose they would spit if you put water in with them, but then they’d be poached sausages, wouldn’t they?  Not sure I fancy them, but to each his own and all that.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 19:12 »
You can do sausages in a soup. You can add them raw once the soup stock and veggies are prepared and cover then wait till thoroughly cooked through. You  can then slice them prior to serving. Think Kale and Potato Sausage soup.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 08:18 »
I usually cook ours in the lean mean fat busting machine. But they are nice in a risotto with sweet potato, spinach, leeks/onions and garlic (ssshhh, wee pinch of fennel) or added to a stroganoff with loads of mushrooms. Either beef or pork.

Nigella's Kitchen book has a great recipe that my family likes. It's supposed to be finger food, but with a load of mash or noodles It's Wholegrain mustard and ginger sausages. I made it a bit milder with some honey.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 09:25 »
You can also do lots at a time, and then freeze them cooked. I prefer this when doing them in the oven, as I often feel its silly putting the oven on for three sausages, and I always feel like I'm doing future Claire a favour!

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 17:28 »
we cook our sausages in the oven with onions I also like boiled sausages served with a good gravy and onions but I have to say I'm a bit choosy when it comes to sausages we buy ours from a local butcher home made bangers and mash can't beat it  :D

xx
Sausages

Started by Aidy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 11:12
by Lardman
xx
Sausages

Started by The Golden Heap on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 19:02
by Lardman
xx
Venison sausages...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 20:24
by Growster...
xx
Does anyone make their own sausages?

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 00:11
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 48 queries.