Just a couple of noshery observations...

• 52 Replies

Growster...

Just a couple of noshery observations...
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:40 »
Jus - Short for 'Justification for plopping even more unrecognisable slop on a plate, normally occupied by pleasant-tasting home-made gravy'.

Confit - The action a cheating tailor used to do, by grasping a handful of a jacket at the back, and telling the customer in the mirror that it was a perfect fit. The idea was stolen by Ivor Duck, a duck-breeders assistant, from Duck, North Carolina.

I'm sure there are others..;0)

mrs bouquet

Re: Just a couple of noshery observations...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 10:44 »
Jus - Yer - right.      Confit - only to be eaten in the Dordogne region of France  :D
Growster, you are so right.    pretentious titles for what is often only mediocre food.    But, a few bob can be added to the price  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  And, what about those little blobs of something piped onto the plate  ::)     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 13:58 »
Jus? "J'you" really think it's worth the effort because I love good eating and it's the main part of what's on the plate that really matters to me. Foraged? Of course it's foraged from whoever harvests it and it certainly won't be the Head Chef who does it. I admit there are certain culinary terms such as roulade, flamande (a mix of peas and carrots), and a few others used in menus and that's ok with me, but when it's overdone it detracts from the enjoyment of what's to come, and because it's far too pretentious I wouldn't consider eating there. If Tom Kerridge and the Hebridean Princess cruise liner I was on earlier this year can do quite well without it and still gain many awards for their cuisine, then so can others. The food should speak for itself and add to the  reputation of the place for good dining at a fair price, meaning more customers and more wonga at the end of the day.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 15:40 »
What about these "foams" that seem to appear on pretentious plates of food.   I couldn't eat anything with that on the plate, it looks as if someone has spit on it.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 17:39 »
Ha ha ha!  Lovely!

I once saw something called a 'trio' of vegetables.

It turned out to be potatoes, carrots and peas!

Keep 'em coming!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 10:46 »
Hand-pulled pork ???      Mrs Bouquet

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 13:38 »
I've got one... Fruit de Mer.

In coastal town in France this will involve generous portions of langoustine, prawns (the big ones), a couple of types of crab and perhaps just to bulk it up a little, a few miscellaneous bivalves.

What do we get served under the same name in ol'Blighty? Whelks, winkles, shanker crab and shrimps masquerading as prawns. Oh, and more whelks.

Fruit de Mer... anything too slow to crawl away when we hauled the bucket up from the marina.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 19:09 »
Had a brochure thingy today from the B--feater Group.    It shows a picture of a double burger and chips, and says -  Crafted Collection - Discover our new burgers.     :unsure: :unsure:   Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 06:31 »
Marvelous!

We occasionally have to drive past a rather nasty takeaway place, where they have photos of all the kebabs and other detritus in the window.

Unfortunately, the sun has faded these awful pictures, and now they look exactly like the sort of roadkill you see when some unfortunate wild animal hasn't correctly judged the distance from A to B..:0(

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 13:43 »
Crafty collection more like, and anyone for hedgehog kebabs??! How about pomme puree (mashed potato), hand-selected (by whom, and I hope they previously washed their hands, wore gloves or preferably both), words like sumptuous, mouth-watering, and delightful (er, not at those prices), de-constructed (presumably not scraped off the floor, or was it??), reduction (i.e. an over-cooked runny sauce), locally-sourced (i.e. from the pub down the road), drizzled (or rather dripped all over the plate) and rustic is just something that's roughly chopped instead of being "lovingly prepared by our finest chefs. Either way, if you feel you're rather stuffed after eating all that (and you probably have been) there's always the tip to consider. May I suggest trying The Windbag in the 2.40 at Epsom?

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 14:08 »
Ha ha ha, Goosey!

You and Squire Gander know more about all this than most people do, and your comments just fit in beautifully!

The last time I went to Epsom races was in 1962, and I had to buy a beer on my own. The dear lady taking my money asked me my age, and suggested that I took the bottle and glass and drank it quickly...

I hope the dear lady is still around - she taught me a lesson that day..;0)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 16:45 »
I have often wondered what de-constructed means   :lol:     Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 19:06 »
I think de-constructed food is the rubbish left after any recognisable cuts of meat are chopped out and packed up as chops, steaks etc, Mrs B!

Jamie Oliver tried to stop turkey twizzlers from appearing on kids' plates, but sadly his efforts have fallen on deaf ears, and we're back to old tosh in many schools!

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 13:31 »
Didn't Lloyd Grossman also have a go in the past and isn't there someone else (Prue Leith?) trying the same, or is she doing hospital food. Now there's something to get your teeth into, or perhaps not if it's anything like the food I had at the local hospital where I used to work. Normally it wasn't bad for staff members so I ordered tuna pasta bake and a bread and butter pud then wished I hadn't as it was absolutely awful!! The pasta was so dry it was like eating tasteless glue, but the pud was even worse as it looked and tasted like a used and very grey dishcloth complete with old mouse droppings. The previous hospital I worked in made the most sumptuous meals and their Friday fish and chips and bread puds were to die for. If my OH can make great meals out of most anything and with a tight budget then so can they.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 16:30 »
Don't get me started on hospital food! I had an overnight stay in Sheffield hospital a couple of years back and the portion size was so tiny I ended up raiding the vending machines! The nurse said they were calorie counted portions which is fine if you eat like a bird, but I'm a hard working, strong and fit bloke, I need around 3 to 4k calories a day :)

xx
A couple of handy hints

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post February 19, 2020, 17:45
by Growster...
xx
Wales is Closed for a couple of hours

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 17:16
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 53 queries.