Mystery illness

• 3 Replies

Eileen Egginton

Mystery illness
« on: September 01, 2020, 16:24 »
Hi wondering if anyone has any ideas about this. I've had two Pekin bantams for about four years, no problems at all. Recently I acquired another two young birds, about 18 weeks. After a fortnight one began to look hunched up and sickly and the big ones kept attacking her. The vet couldn't find anything wrong, but next day she was dead. We got another young one who also unexpectedly died one night. The third young hen lasted six weeks and then also began to look hunched up. The vet gave us antibiotics which all of them had in the water, but again she just died in the night. As it was a rather hot Bank Holiday and everyone was working we were unable to take her in for a planned  post mortem so are still in the dark. The two big hens are absolutely fine, only one has now got mites (which are being treated), something we haven't seen in them before. I'm wondering if the young ones might have had a low level mite infestation causing anaemia or vulnerability to something? There were no obvious signs and the vet didn't pick this up. Any ideas?

grinling

Re: Mystery illness
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 19:36 »
I presume you did not quarantine the new birds for 3 weeks before introducing?
Did you have the pekins from chicks or do you not know their age?
Were the pekins laying?When were they last broody and how long did that last?
I presume you mean lice on chickens as mites live in the coop, looks grey, but slide paper and get a red streak.
Check over your new birds, eyes clear, breathing clear?
Check that you can eat the eggs as not all antibiotics are suitable for laying hens.

Eileen Egginton

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 20:21 »
Hi new birds were from a reputable source, not quarantined but did have a separate area. Original birds rehomed from owner who had raised them from chicks. Eggs cleared safe to eat with antiobitics by vet. Original birds laying, new ones not laying yet. New birds checked by vet.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 23:50 »
Your new ones could have passed an infection on. Regardless of where they come from, it is good practice to quarrantine well away from original and then monitor how they get on.
Keep an eye on your newbies for any signs out of the ordinary including poop.
If you think the coop has mites, treat it. I have mine dust bathe in louse powder mixed in with the soil in the sand pit.

xx
Mystery illness - need diagnosis please!

Started by buzzybee#1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 02:43
by nnbreeder
sad
Illness - Please Help

Started by propermanor on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 14:12
by joyfull
xx
help please disease or other illness

Started by welshthistle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 08:48
by Sassy
xx
Chronic illness?

Started by violet on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 09:41
by joyfull

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 43 queries.