Dirty Vent

• 3 Replies

peachesandclive

Dirty Vent
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:31 »
It's a long story but I have just taken on some hens, 2 of which have dirty vents and I wondered whether anyone has any advice on treatment. Although they were free ranging, they weren't being kept in terribly nice conditions, but otherwise appear fine (I have kept chooks before).

I'm hoping that being well cared for and fed in my garden they will clean up on their own, or is that wishful thinking?

Foxy

Dirty Vent
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:56 »
Hi P&C,
If they have been free-ranging in not so good conditions, maybe a good idea to worm them with flubenvent incase carrying a high worm load. Free-ranging is fab however with all those wonderful slugs and worms comes parasites particulary if the drinker stays in the same place for too long!
With their botties would be good to give them a good wash in warm soapy water(I use baby shampoo) and give a thorough check for any evidence of lice particulary around the vent. If necesaary a little clipping of feathers won't do any harm and will help stop the poo sticking to feathers.
Finally to help keep the gut in good condition pop a little unfettered apple cider vinegar in their drinking water, this is available at most feed or horsey stores. For more info on parasites and some piccies to help you have a lool at aunties sticky,

worms:
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4348
external parasites:
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Dirty Vent
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:59 »
Great Advice Foxy  :D

Bodger

Dirty Vent
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 14:05 »
It probably means that they have eaten something at sometime that hasn't agreed with them and they've basically had the trots. Wash or cut away the surrounding feathers.

xx
dirty vent and floppy comb!!

Started by Nat100 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:05
by Nat100
xx
poorly chickens? dirty vent

Started by Mr. Clucky on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 22:03
by mumofstig
xx
Dirty vent, lethargoc, sitting back and weak(ish)

Started by old chook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 17:47
by jill247
xx
Dirty bum

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 19:01
by Diddy Gardener

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 36 queries.