Jamrock

• Experienced Member
Re: Runnerbeans
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04 »
I wouldn't sow anything in the same spot every year

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04 »
Yes - as there are no soil borne diseases or pests associated with this plant. I do include it in the rotation though to help spread nitrogen around the cycle; which this plant fixes in its root nodules.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:42 »
I do include it in the rotation though to help spread nitrogen around the cycle; which this plant fixes in its root nodules.

Modern research indicates that very little Nitrogen is left for future crops unless all of the plant is dug in. Nitrogen fixation in legumes
The bit about Nitrogen Return to Soil is bottom right page 2 
The document can be slow to load but I find refreshing the page makes it load

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:12 »
I have a "permanent" Munty frame made from angle iron, so yes I do grow them in the same place, although the soil is partially changed every year by digging out a trench, adding used compost and partly-rotted material, then filling back in using soil from an adjacent area.

As Kirpi has already pointed out runner beans are thankfully not subject to persistent soil-borne diseases - as for the nitrogen issue runner bean roots are pretty tough and tuberous and do not rot down in the soil between the end of one growing season and the start of the next, so they go on the compost heap anyway along with the bines.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:31 »
I move mine as part of the crop rotation, as the soil in different beds then gets its dose of kitchen compost and manure that I give them  :D

And I just get some help to lug the frame to the next bed eaxh Spring , as it is a two person job
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lettice

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:28 »
I have grown mine in the same position for many years.
But, as others, I do dig a lot of compost, seaweed, and a winter trench of kitchen scraps into where they grow.

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:34 »
I do include it in the rotation though to help spread nitrogen around the cycle; which this plant fixes in its root nodules.

Modern research indicates that very little Nitrogen is left for future crops unless all of the plant is dug in. Nitrogen fixation in legumes
The bit about Nitrogen Return to Soil is bottom right page 2 
The document can be slow to load but I find refreshing the page makes it load

Thanks for posting the reference - I incorporate the whole plant biomass into the bed, roots, vines and leaves so that is a significant nitrogen addition to the bed for the next crop.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 11:48 »
I incorporate the whole plant biomass into the bed, roots, vines and leaves so that is a significant nitrogen addition to the bed for the next crop.

Just to clarify ..........the document says
When the grain from the legume crop is harvested, little nitrogen is returned for the following crop. Most of the nitrogen is removed from the field

In other words even digging in everything  that's left after you have harvested your beans or peas, then legumes don't leave any more nitrogen behind than any other crop would  ;)

Kirpi

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 11:52 »
Ok - so you're right. Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 11:55 »
 I just didn't want newbies to think that growing beans and leaving roots would make a big difference to the soil - when it doesn't.

It's a shame it turned out to be another old wives' tale  :(

had to edit my silly spelling mistake  ::)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 13:26 by mumofstig »

Kirpi

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 13:19 »
True - gardening has taught me over the years to always be ready to ditch ideas when they are proven to be false.

xx
runnerbeans

Started by rayaddison on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 18:10
by DD.

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 36 queries.