Rats. I think I have Rats.

• 16 Replies

bubs

Re: Rats. I think I have Rats.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 18:47 »
when i got my chickens about 14 months ago i had some problems with illness that stopped the chickens laying , after the chickens got better i still got very few eggs {5 months later } , so i moved their 6 compartment nesting box that was freestanding on the floor and the rats had eaten their way into the shed in about 4 places all under the nest box and had been terrifying the hens or stealing the eggs .
once i relocated my nest boxe's 30 inches off the ground and wired all the holes the eggs finally stared to appear and the chickens have been happier and on song ever since.

Rubellite

Re: Rats. I think I have Rats.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 21:31 »
I used Eradirat successfully. I hate using poison because I worry about the other animals, but Eradirat say it's harmless to other animals. Even so I use minimally and keep it well covered.
We live next door to a small sewage farm and I have found tunnels running under the fence. I know that they regularly put poison down to keep on top of the rats, so don't worry about those too much. Our chicken pens are a good 200 yards across open mown field from that fence.
Have just persuaded our friendly builders working next door to move the large chicken shed for me and found old rat runs beneath it (they were there when we took over the place and were where I used the Eradirat). The shed stands on pallets and they have a forklift prong on the tractor. Firmly believe that the best way is to keep the house up on bricks or on wheels and keep moving it around. Also need to keep the grass cut so they have nowhere to hide! Oh, and the terriers help too. Keep trying to get OH to make me some concrete staddle stones. Now there's a project for you Rough (as if you're not busy enough).  ;)

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
rats!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 23:03
by storme37
xx
Rats

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:44
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Rats!

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2021, 10:21
by nerdle

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.