MiG welder [flux cored wire]

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

MiG welder [flux cored wire]
« on: November 30, 2010, 13:56 »
has anyone with a MiG welder been using flux cored wire i can't seem to get on with my MiG welder using a gas 

the tip of the welder seems to keep clogging i find the MiG welders handy for light metals as my ark welder tends to burn hols in light metals i was told the cored wire tends to be infective if your welding in any windy spot?

i would be interested to hear from anyone using cored wire successfully with there MiG

thanks

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
Re: MiG welder [flux cored wire]
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 17:37 »
Never bothered with cored wire for my mig I have to say, I use argoshield light gas and occasionally get splatter in the tip, just gently clean it out with a small screwdriver and I carry on.

You will get more splatter with using co2 only, less with an argon / co2 mix. Also, can be caused if you're wire speeds not set right or your gas flow's too high or you don't have the gun at the correct angle for your weld or holding it too far from the welding material?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 18:22 »
we use universal argon and have done for years. With the clogging it might be the burn back that wants setting or alternatively the wire is dirty or the liner is damaged and is jamming the wire periodically, or the bronze is peeling off the wire and jamming it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 14:58 »
thanks guys for you help let you know how i get on with the flux cored when i start using the MIG

smud6ie

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 17:45 »
As has been mentioned,one of the causes of a dirty nozzel is wrong  current in relation to the wire speed but an important one is welding rusty,painted or scaley  parent metal .
I always use an anti-spatter spray which does help a lot if the seam can't be cleaned with a grinder.
 I have been welding ,did my c&g in 1969 in gas and arc and had a  mig since the early 80's ..I don't rate flux cored wire at all but I hope  you will be one who does .
 smud6ie

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:48 »
i note what your saying smud6ie as i was having difficulties with using argon gas i thought I'd try flux cored wire. i can weld not to bad with the Ark weld but need to learn and have more practice on the MiG. :( professional welder i wish :happy:

anyway once again thanks for your reply

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50 »
both my OH and youngest son are coded welders and have to refresh their certificates every 5 years, like smud6ie they original started welding with stick - MIG and TIG is not an option for some of the stuff we do.

982knn

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 22:23 »

I've used a flux cored gasless welder to repair my Landy.

Its really a hybrid between stick welding and proper gas MIG.

Quality wise, now as much welding slag on welds, but still need a wire brush down.

In my book better than sticks, but if welding thin sheet, you really need a proper MIG/TIG.

Mark

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.