best bean slicer?

• 16 Replies

Highfield

best bean slicer?
« on: August 10, 2009, 19:31 »
Am eating them as fast as we can and the surplus of course if going in the freezer. Has anyone got a gadget for slicing them though? I have a little multi bladed thing on the end of a peeler but it is small and fiddly and quite hard work! Might be a bit old and blunt though - a bit like me  :lol:

I looked at things that strings them too but mine don't need that at the moment and just wondered if anyone here can recommend before I splash out - anything to speed the process!

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: best bean slicer?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 19:36 »
I string mine with a potato peeler and use a very sharp knife to slice them.
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 19:40 »
Over the years i've tried a fair few of the bean slicer thingies and never found a good one :(
I use v sharp knife the same as Ice, doesn't take any longer than fiddling with a gadget would :lol:

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:49 »
Over the years i've tried a fair few of the bean slicer thingies and never found a good one :(
I use v sharp knife the same as Ice, doesn't take any longer than fiddling with a gadget would :lol:

And probably a lot easier to clean!
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

titch

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 19:12 »
just bought a krisk one from lakeland - superb - even did the tough ones - a little shy of £3 and i love it
just done a whole bucket full, prepped ready to freeze in around 10 mins

easy to clean too - there is a link to the lakeland site on here somewhere - have a look and see what you think

just keep breathing................

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 21:21 »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 21:37 »
The problem with the Krisk is that it strings every bean and not all of them need it.  Also, runner beans are meant to be cut in diamond shapes not long thin strips. :tongue2:

Titch, did you blanche the beans first?  Are you planning on using them soon?

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 01:42 »
The problem with the Krisk is that it strings every bean and not all of them need it.  Also, runner beans are meant to be cut in diamond shapes not long thin strips. :tongue2:

My mother has an old Kenwood Chef mixer and it has various attachments one of which is for shelling peas and slicing beans. It is very fast and does a good job but no diamond cuts...

The pea sheller is not so successful unless you are quick off the mark putting your hand over the feed-end. If you delay lots of peas escape back out the way they came like emerald bullets!

Blanching? My wife isn't keen on freezing vegetables of any type - loss of nutritional value being the reason. While she was out today I checked on the internet and read that blanching helps veg retain a good degree of nutrient which would otherwise be lost when freezing and then cooking.

I didn't experiment as I was put off by the instruction to use a bowl of ice to rapidly cool the beans before drying, packing and freezing.

I need a precise and easy to follow method if there is such a thing. Any pointers would be gratefully received  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:35 »
I put the veg into boiling water, let it come back to the boil and leave for one minute.  Strain, fill sink with cold water and put veg in.  No ice.  Strain, lay on a towel (the veg not me), pat the top with another towel and leave to dry.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 21:19 »
I put the veg into boiling water, let it come back to the boil and leave for one minute.  Strain, fill sink with cold water and put veg in.  No ice.  Strain, lay on a towel (the veg not me), pat the top with another towel and leave to dry.

How very often do people tell you that you are lovely Ice??  Loads, I hope!!!!

Thanks...... next time my OH nips out to the shops I am going to get blanching and fill the garage freezer with all those lovely beans that I've grown now I know that I don't need glacier loads of ice. Thanks  :)  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 22:55 »
No-one has told me I am lovely in a very long time. :blush:

titch

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 23:00 »

after processing them with the krisk thingy i blanched and froze about 1/2 bucket, the other half were a bit big and tougher so used them to make runner bean pickle/chutney stuff - figured some long cooking might sort them out. :wacko:
i love runners, they are my faves so have grown loads on the lottie and also have some int he garden that are a bit behind the lottie ones - picked some fresh ones today for the weekend, trying not to let them get too big !!

at first i wasnt sure about the long thin strips it shreds them into but have had them like that before so sure it will be ok, i can cope with them being cut differently than ussual but carrots is a whole other story ha ha  :ohmy: :ohmy: :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 23:08 »
Now I'm the opposite.  Runners HAVE to be cut in diamond shapes.  Carrots have more scope, batons, rounds, diagonals, shreds etc. :lol:  Each to their own.

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 12:34 »
When it comes to runners it depends how I'm cooking them...

Stir-fry = diamonds (or cross cut lumps, anyway).
Steaming = usually sliced cutting upwards from underneath as I find it quickest

Carrots = latest advice to retain best nutritional value is not to chop, slice or anything else until after they are cooked as this helps preserve food value (vitamin, I think).

I guess it's all a matter of personal prefence - maybe even following family traits / habits.  :unsure:

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 20:15 »
This is a very good machine

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/krisk-bean-slicer/F/keyword/bean+slicer/product/3410

Great bit of kit , be careful they are very very sharp.
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

xx
Anyone ever sharpened a Spong bean slicer?

Started by angelavdavis on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:48
by angelavdavis
xx
Runner bean slicer and drying or freezing

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 18:06
by Mrs Bee
xx
bean jar

Started by goodegg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 22:23
by Elcie
xx
Runner Bean Seeds

Started by digital_biscuit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 19:53
by Yabba

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 29 queries.