Roasted beetroot with queso fresco and sunflower seeds

• 4 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
I tried this yesterday for the first time, it is the best way that I've ever eaten beetroot (we just call them 'beets' over here).

The beets we had were quite large, bigger than fist-sized. One was a golden beet, the other was red and white in concentric rings. I anticipated some trouble peeling them, so after scrubbing them thoroughly, and cutting off tops, bottoms, and "eyes", I popped them in a pan of boiling water for about five minutes, rinsed with cold water, then let them continue to cool until easily handled. The skin would not separate easily, so I peeled it with a knife, and removed any discolored areas.

I pre-heated the oven to 375°F (190°C), then cut each beet root into wedge-shaped slices for roasting, no more than 2 cm thick.

Cover a large baking sheet with baking parchment paper.  Arrange the slices on the parchment. Drizzle or baste each wedge with a little olive oil.

When the oven reaches temperature, place the baking sheet in the oven.  After 25 minutes, turn the slices over with a spatula. Baste with a little more olive oil and roast additional time as needed. Roast another 15 minutes or so. Check for tenderness with a fork (I roasted mine for about 50 minutes in total). When done, the wedges will be lightly caramelized on the outside, and tender all the way through.

Remove the wedges from the parchment to a plate. Sprinkle with a little salt and crumbled queso fresco (here, this is a Mexican fresh cheese with a crumbly texture; you could probably substitute feta or goat cheese, or ricotta, or even blue cheese).  Sprinkle with roasted sunflower seeds (salted or unsalted, as you prefer). For me, the final touch is a light sprinkle of balsamic vinegar, but you can omit if you prefer.

The salt and cheese (and vinegar if used) gives a good flavor balance with the sweetness of the beets and nutty taste of the sunflower seeds.  The golden and red/white beets are a little less sweet than many red beets (but I prefer that in a beet anyway).

Son #2 really loved this recipe, comparing the overall sweetness and flavor to sweet corn.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 02:54 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Candide

• Experienced Member
Re: Roasted beetroot with queso fresco and sunflower seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 18:23 »
Ta for that Sub P.  I'll definitely try it

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 09:21 »
Roasted beets freeze brilliantly so I am stashing this recipe for future reference as well.  I can reheat them in the oven and then make the dish all winter long  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 19:08 »
Sounds delicious. I was given a roasted beetroot recipe by an allotment neighbour some years ago.
Peel & quarter the beetroots, drizzle in olive oil & balsamic vinegar,season with salt & black pepper & sprinkle with cumin seeds. Really lovely & a great favourite of mine, good hot or cold
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 18:26 »
Mmm, like the idea of cumin seeds - I have some but never think to use them!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
sunflower seeds

Started by nobby on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 17:25
by David.
xx
Roasted Leeks

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 16:45
by sunshineband
xx
Preserving roasted vegetables

Started by maple30 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 12:38
by compostqueen
xx
Oven roasted tomatoes question

Started by Hawkins on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:31
by Trillium

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 41 queries.