Garden shredder for cider making

• 4 Replies

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
Garden shredder for cider making
« on: February 13, 2011, 20:56 »
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me please what make & model of garden shredder they use for mashing up the apples, it sounds much easier than a fruit crusher you fit to top of a press,
but lm quite concerned about the cleaning of the inside and all the juice, as l dont think it will get on well with the electricity  :ohmy: .

Thanks in advance

Silky  :D :D :D
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Garden shredder for cider making
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 18:45 »
I like the lateral thinking   :lol:   but there is far more chance of picking up nasty bugs and beasties in a shredder.  Don't forget, cleanliness,  cleanliness,  cleanliness.

Best wishes and cheers,    Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 19:06 »
I went to the Malvern show last year and there were a couple there showing how they made cider and they were using a garden shredder to chop the apples up.

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees

JohnB

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 15:27 »
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me please what make & model of garden shredder they use for mashing up the apples, it sounds much easier than a fruit crusher you fit to top of a press,
but lm quite concerned about the cleaning of the inside and all the juice, as l dont think it will get on well with the electricity  :ohmy: .

Thanks in advance

Silky  :D :D :D

Hi shold have noticed this thread earlier. I was very happy with my garden shredder for "mashing the apples" Not only did it give in my opinion a great finish for pressing but it was also free (for those already own one). In reference to electrics remember you may have extra liquid putting apples through but you will still get liquid with branches and leaves. Furthermore I often cleaned it down with the garden hose. Apart from the first batch I would not unduly worry about cleanliness if you are using it everyday as "yesterdays" remains will be pushed out by "todays". A clean down if you leave it standing for a few days. Personaly as time went bye I did less each time and had no "bad or off" ciders out of the 34 gallons I made last year. Now in referance to model/type I am not sure it makes a differnce as I have used two different ones upto now and the only way to find out which is best is try lots.......not very practical? By best I mean which will need to be unblocked least as sometimes you have to stop to unblock normally caused by me pushing the apples down to fast. Try a second hand one at least you wont lose much. NOW I don't know if you have read this but someone says they have been using a spin dryer very succesfully that is spin dryer not an heat dryer. There can not be many of these left as most washing machines are spinners as well. So second hand should be dirt cheap??

xx
Im new to cider making, can you help me?

Started by nuzuki on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 12:11
by SG6
xx
Making cider

Started by gusto on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:48
by Silkworm
xx
making cider

Started by samuria on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 05:53
by Kevin67
xx
cider making

Started by dick baker on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:08
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 29 queries.