Can you make wine with Raspberries?

• 13 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« on: March 18, 2008, 21:58 »
Hi

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but can you make wine with Raspberries?  I have a feeling that I will be getting a glut of them this year as I have just gotten a new allotment plot which had some canes on, then was given some more from a person on a neighbouring plot and now my boss is also going to give me some more!  I thought perhaps I could use the fruit in wine.  Put it to good use as it were  :wink:   I think I will also be getting alot of Strawberries and Rhubarb which I think you can use.  But I kind of like just eating Strawberries straight from the plant (as long as a slug isn't still attached that is).

Does anyone have a recipe also?

Thank you

Teen
Teen

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 22:25 »
Don't know about the wine but you can freeze rasps. Nice to have some in the long winter months.  :D

rob

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:20 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Don't know about the wine but you can freeze rasps. Nice to have some in the long winter months.  :D

rob

Raspberry wine is excellent.  Makes a pale red wine, a dark rose if you like.

Here's a basic recipe:

4lb raspberries
3 and a half lb of sugar
2 pints boiling water
6 pints cold water
Yeast

Pour the boiling water onto the fruit so as to cover it well.  Use more than 2 pints if necessary.  Allow to cool then mash the fruit with the hands.  Add the remaining water so as to make 1 gallon (8 pints) total liquid added.  Add 2 crushed campden tablets and stir.  Cover closely and leave 3 or 4 days, stirring twice daily.  Strain the mixture as much as possible (close sieve) onto the sugar and stir well to dissolve.  Add a good quality general wine yeast (or if specific a port or burgundy yeast).  Cover and leave for 24 hours then put the mixture in a demijohn and fit an air lock.  Ferment it right through, then rack into a clean demijohn, and again as necessary before bottling.  Keep it at least another 6 months, preferably 12 months in the bottle.

To give a little more bite (and it darkens the wine a little), add a tea bag at the beginning before the 4 day steeping period.

Here's a redcurrant & raspberry wine recipe:

4lb redcurrants
4lb raspberries.

Press out all the juice from the fruit.  Either use a press or a plate and colander within a fermenting bucket will do.  Boil the squeezed pulp in 3 times it's own volume of water for 1 hour, then strain onto the pressed juice.  Squeeze the pulp as dry as possible and add all liquid obtained.  For every total gallon of liquid add 2 campden tablets (crushed), cover, stir and leave for 24 hours.  For each gallon of liquid then add 4lb of sugar, stir well to dissolve, then add yeast.  Cover closely and let it begin to ferment vigourously for 2 or 3 days.  Transfer to demijohns and fit air locks.  Proceed as usual.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 15:32 »
Wow Tinbasher thank you very much.  I like Rose wine the best and to be able to make it with my own fruit would be great!

This site is great and the people who support it are too.  Many thanks.

I look forward to trying out your recipe Tinbasher!  I've never made wine before and it all sounds exciting.

Teen

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 20:15 »
They also make a fabulous fruit vodka - just get a bottle of cheap vodka - decant it to a kilner jar or similar - add raspberries - shake every day when you walk past - then when it looks all dark and yummy - I leave mine for weeks sometimes months - strain the raspberries and decant the vodka into pretty bottles - makes great pressies.  Save the raspberries and pop them into a raspberry jelly - POW - tastes brilliant
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 21:09 »
Sounds a great way to get drunk I'll have to try your method too.  You'd think I was a drunkard wouldn't you.  You'd be right!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 22:44 »
Oh seems such a shame to waste lovely raspberries in wine, but I make rhubarb wine!!!  and carrot wine, and rice wine, and.......   :lol:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 22:57 »
I have a lot of canes!  I keep getting people giving them to me.  Not that I am complaining.  Any other ideas of what to use them for are always gratefully appreciated  :wink:   How much do you get per cane roughly?

Stripey_cat

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 21:01 »
I've never tried r. wine (strawberry is lovely drunk fairly young), as I've never had enough of a glut.  Jam is good, though.  And the liqueur thing works well (you need a reasonable quality base spirit, though - cheap vodka still tastes nasty with added fruit).  How about sorbets and ice-cream (both lovely, although bulkier than just frozen).  You can make a puree and freeze that, too, which does save freezer space and is nice in puddings and on yoghurt.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 22:06 »
Thanks for that Stripey Cat.  My concern about freezing is I don't have any containers and I don't have much room in my freezer.  Jam could be good though.  Is it hard to make jam?  I've never attempted to make it.

Also useful to know that vodka tastes nasty with fruit as I don't really like the taste of vodka unless its been drowned with a strong flavour such as lemon.  I drunk loads of vodka at one time and ended up being allergic to it because just having a little drop makes me very sick.  :?

Stripey_cat

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 23:12 »
Jam is dead easy (I made a batch once when I was so concussed I couldn't see straight).  You need a big pan, and if it has a heavy bottom it means less stirring!  You also need a clean (ie not garlicky) wooden spoon, that's long enough for you to stir the bottom of the pan without sticking your hand too near the boiling sugar.

Equal weights fruit and sugar in your pan (less sugar is possible, but won't keep for more than a few months).  If you can, adding some under-ripe berries, or a finely chopped Bramley, will help the set (runny jam isn't the end of the world, but doesn't keep so well).  Start to heat it gently, so that the juices run and the sugar dissolves.  Once it's all dissolved, turn the heat up to a fast boil, and keep stirring.  The jam will try to boil over - find the point just below that, and if it does get away from you, blow hard on the foam, stir like crazy, and pull it off the heat!  After a few minutes, you'll notice the texture of the foam starts to change (the bubbles go sort of glassy).  Keep it going, and make sure it doesn't stick.  

There are several ways to test to see if the jam's set yet.  I find the best is to get a cold saucer and dribble some of the mix on it.  Let it cool for a few seconds, then push it with your fingernail - if the jam's boiled enough it'll form a skin and be gooey rather than syrupy.  If it's not ready, put the pan back on the boil, and wash the saucer in icy water (dry it off well!) so you're ready to try again.  It is possible to overboil jam (you end up with a sort of fruit-flavoured toffee).  If it starts to caramelise, you've gone too far - take it off the heat at once!  Underboiled jam is much more useful than overboiled - it's a wonderful ice-cream syrup for starters.

Once your jam's ready, you need to pot it.  If you want to keep it for any length of time, it needs to be sealed in sterile jars.  The easiest way (far easier than faffing around with paper and cellophane) is to save jam-jars with undamaged lids.  Wash them well, then either boil them in a saucepan (best for a few jars), or fill them with boiling water and put them in a warm oven (best for a large batch).  Scald the lids too.  Being very careful not to pour boiling water on your oven gloves, get a jar out, tip the water away, fill it with boiling jam (easiest with a jam funnel; if you don't have one, work on a baking sheet so the spilt jam isn't wasted), and screw the lid on firmly.  Repeat.  As the jars cool, the dimples in the lids should pop down (if one doesn't your seal isn't good enough or it was too cold when you filled it - that jar won't keep so long as the rest).  If there's a partially filled jar, finish it first (after the pan scrapings and any you spilled!).

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 23:03 »
Thank you for the advice on making jam.  I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.  I shall have to try to save some jars.

ARTHUR1

Re: Can you make wine with Raspberries?
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 07:08 »
I know this is not what you asked for but while searching for your answer I came across this, it sounds awesome.
 Pardon That Vine

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Can you make wine with Raspberries?
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 19:47 »
Hi, came across what!!

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Can i make wine from this?

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 16:37
by adodman
xx
How easy is it to make wine?

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 11:29
by Growster...
xx
Redcurrant wine, any suggestions how to make?

Started by WeavingGryphon on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post May 15, 2020, 10:31
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.