What I did on the plot today 2023

• 158 Replies

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2023
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2023, 22:52 »
Only have a cold greenhouse so having had 4/5 inches snow this week I thankfully haven't actually started this year yet. Pots have been washed, guttering found, cut and drilled ready to start peas, new seeds have arrived and second early spuds chitting, just need the weather too improve.
Aiming to put some plastic cloches out this week, weather permitting though as a bit flimsy and possibly start some lettuce, beetroot and onion sets in the greenhouse
Itching to get started though...

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2023, 18:30 »
Same as you, Learnerlady.  Was thinking about putting a cloche up to dry and warm up a bit of a bed.
Warmer today but will probs wait til next week before sowing owt.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2023, 00:13 »
After a big rain last night and this morning, cold air is moving in tomorrow, so I am moving my tomato, pepper, and other tender vegetable seedlings indoors and under the lights for a week or so, until it warms up again.  Orchids and houseplants as well.

I don't know if you have the equivalent of daylight savings time over there.  Story short, everyone affected (including the Subversive household) moved clocks ahead by an hour this morning. That means an extra hour of daylight for gardening after work - at least until mid-November.

Cut the grass in the front garden.  It will be the back garden's turn in a day or two.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2023, 09:40 »
Just sown a couple of trays of lettuce in my conservatory adding them to the peas in gutter and broad beans. Increased the light by drawing back the roof blinds. I was wondering about planting out some onion sets but think I will wait till next week given the forecasts and high winds.
Keep digging

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2023, 10:37 »
Just watered the beetroot and peas and beans in the conservatory.
Tomatoes have germinated in my propagator. Can’t do much else as I’m still at home with Covid!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2023, 12:47 »
I hope you recover soon HH, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I planted out all of my courgettes started from seed (two varieties, labeled "Early Summer Crookneck" and "Dark Green Zucchini"). Everything is planted in 5-gallon or 10-gallon containers, one or two seedlings  per container, depending on container size.

During the past work week, all of my "spare" tomato and pepper seedlings, not needed by me or my sons, were taken into my office in Atlanta, and given away to co-workers. That was fun. Some were experienced  gardeners, others were planning to grow a plant or two in containers on a patio or balcony.

Debz

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2023, 10:44 »
A community day on our site at the weekend so a bit of communal graft and chat which was very pleasant.  A bit of weeding in one of the beds on my plot and retrieved a good supply of compost from my compost bin.  Now to start filling that back up again.  Whispered words of encouragement to the lettuce seeds in greenhouse as the green shoots emerged.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2023, 11:11 »
Finally got to the plot today.
Planted my gutter of peas that were getting too large in the conservatory.
Also planted my onions but covered them to protect them from the weather and birds.
Ground just about ok but still too wet I reckon for small seeds etc. Rain and wind had made a mark on the plot in my absence. Top of my incinerator blown off and the bottom has collapsed fortunately I have another at home.

Aled

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2023, 11:43 »
First pot of container potatoes planted, and tomato, cucumber, French Beans, and peppers planted indoors.
Cheers. Aled

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2023, 15:50 »
Managed to plant out some broad beans today and sow a few seeds beside them.
Covered with a cloche. Pleased to see there was still a good supply of manure from our local stables. A fellow gardener told me that the manure had been maturing for nearly a year. Given this encouragement I put one wheelbarrow full onto my french/runner bean bed and piled up two onto the bed I’m planning for sweetcorn.
Retreated as it started to rain again!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2023, 13:31 »
Got in the first and second early potatoes.  :)

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2023, 11:24 »
Set out one of they plastic cloches as recommended to dry and warm a strip of bed.  Probably beetroot to go in half of it.
Got a cheap washing up bowl ( cos the litter trays are too big for our needs ) and sowed some Bandit leeks.  I thought I had some Musselborough but cannae find them.
Twigged that I can use that inferior Levington seed compost to put in a trench for carrots - stump rooted;  but might put in some longer ones later - tend to get comedy carrots in our heavy clay but me and partners grandkids like that as we bite off bits like healthier version of ginger bread men

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2023, 11:05 »
I potted more tomatoes and peppers on into larger containers of compost, fortified with 13-13-13 fertilizer and pelleted dolomitic lime.  Today is mostly a day off work for me, trying to get lawn and garden care finished before several days of rain.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2023, 17:04 »
Quick run over the grass at lunchtime before the drizzle started.
Yesterday I weeded my asparagus bed and covered another bed with a cloche to dry it out a bit ?? (Hope)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 18:46 by Hampshire Hog »

snowdrops

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2023, 19:26 »
Showed a friend the plot for the first time, she was suitably impressed  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 52 queries.