Spark?

• 12 Replies

lincspoacher

Spark?
« on: September 13, 2008, 14:30 »
Slightly puzzled.....

Got a Merry Tiller with a 5Hp briggs and stratton engine, non working.

Now, ive had car engines to bits many times (i can change the cylinder head of a Ford Pinto engine in the dark), but lawn mower engines..............

Someone has already had this to bits. I figure they realised what i did -that the exhaust valve was stuck open, and gave up.

I've taken the head off, and with a judicious bit of poking and tapping and working, and a good dose of WD40, ive freed the valve and it now compresses nicely.

It had a spark, ive had to remove the magneto coil to remove the head, ive now refitted the magneto back on. Now, I assume the small tag on the magneto coil is earth, which ive temporarily tucked  under a rocker cover bolt, but i cant get a spark. It DID spark when we started. Even tucking the HT lead next to the earth tag doesnt now show a spark.....Im aware that theres a low oil cutout, which prolly disconnects the magneto on low oil, bu ive not got that  wired in atm. I just want to check we have a spark before we go any further...........

Have  i missed something here ? Or am i doing something blindingly stupid ? The coil has conductivity , so its not open circuit, and the coil is as close to the flywheel magnet as you can get. Ive seen just the odd spark now and then since.

Gwiz

Spark?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 18:12 »
the coil usually has two legs, and is bolted through them onto the engine. there is normally a wire that runs to an on/off switch of some manner, or, as in your case, a low oil cut off switch as well.
I'm trying to visulise the engine that you have, as I'm a little puzzled by you mentioning a rocker cover. unless you have a new overhead valve engine as a replacment, there isn't one.There is on some engines a valve chest, where the valve springs are. Is your engine a side valve model? and can you place a picture of it here or in my private message inbox?

Yabba

Spark?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 18:40 »
In another universe your sparking perfectly .... apparently :D

I'll get me coat :roll:

¥

Yabba

Spark?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 18:53 »
Aunt Sally .. that was spooky ... which universe were/are we in ? :eek:

... sheesh, that's gonna make no sense to the rest of you :tongue2:

¥

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spark?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 18:54 »
Aunty is not supposed to laugh at funny comments  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yabba

Spark?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 18:55 »
;)

¥

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spark?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 19:00 »
Back to engines.

As gwiz says a picture always says so much more than words can.

poultrygeist

Spark?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 19:03 »
I'll confess to knowing nothing about this sort o' ting.

But could it be an intermittent fault on the HT lead ??  :?

Rob 8)

lincspoacher

Spark?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 19:43 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
I'll confess to knowing nothing about this sort o' ting.

But could it be an intermittent fault on the HT lead ??  :?

Rob 8)

hmm could be..............think ill cast round for a new coil............

Gwiz

Spark?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 05:51 »
If it was working, and isn't now, wouldn't that be a little rash?
In more than a few years fixing these engines, I can't remember replacing a coil on a briggs engine. Other makes yes. briggs?, no.
Due to the vintage of some of the merry tillers, a lot of the ones you come accross have points under the flywheel. Is your engine coloured white or black? if white there is a fair chance that you have points that need cleaning/replaceing. Have a look under the flywheel with a torch. if you can see a shiny aluminium cover, thats more than likely where your problem lies, and if that's the case, sing out, and I'll tell you what to do next. :D

lincspoacher

Spark?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 19:55 »
OK, heres the result.

After musing the problem, and poking around further, i realised someone has also had the carb to bits, and theres springs missing as well. So  i decided not to spend any more time on that engine.

So i took the engine off, and dropped in its place a Suffolk Colt 25 engine that ive had kicking round under the bench for about 10 years, that USED to drive a mega grind wheel.

Took a bit of bodging, and  i had to improvise a fuel tank....

Anyhoo, i took it for a test run. After some fiddling with the carb i got the jet and idle set ok, and had to fiddle with the belt tension, and drove it up and down a test patch. In 40 mins id thoroughly turned over a patch 12 metres by 3 metres.

Now i know your supposed to take the transport wheels off, but i found it lot easier when i left them on..............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Spark?
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 20:15 »
Result LP well done, always satisfying to get something working again.  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

lincspoacher

Spark?
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 20:59 »
Cobbled together Rotovator:

Test patch:

xx
The Spark has gone......

Started by dalemellor on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 09:09
by madcat
clip
Villiers C12 with no spark

Started by mitzygolf on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2020, 15:38
by jezza
xx
Poor spark how do I get this off ?

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 22:24
by shaun
xx
Intermitant Spark

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 20:02
by shaun

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.