How long to get effects from fertilisers?

• 10 Replies

viettaclark

How long to get effects from fertilisers?
« on: September 27, 2011, 23:19 »
I use fbb in the planting hole for all my plants and top up the raised beds every planting with compost, mushroom compost, top soil and sometimes chicken poo. I am definitely noticing there is a growth surge after about 3 months or so and assume it's the fbb that's slow release. It wouldn't matter if you kept using the fbb every 3 months all the year but it's easy to forget!
Does anyone know the release time for chicken poo, homemade compost and mushroom compost? I don't tend to use the pelleted stuff (Growmore etc) on the veg but that's slow release too.
Is it because certain things like nitrogen are more soluble so you get lots of growth first? If it's dry (like this year) does it just stay in the soil and activate when it rains?
I know soluble feeds work quickly because they're easy for the plant to absorb.
This is a fascinating subject but I'm no chemist/biologist!!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: How long to get effects from fertilisers?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:18 »
FBB is certainly a slow acting fertiliser.

It does take a while to actually be available' in the soil (I thought this was about 6 weeks) and then there is the time between when the plant begins to take up the nutrients and this shows in it s growth (Now this is about six weeks) So overall I guess it is about 3 months. I tend to use it a few weeks before planting, so the first few weeks are 'pre-plant' so it feels a faster effect, if you see what I mean.

Chickne poo pellets give out there goodies as they hit the damp soil, and again it is six weeks before this effects shows in the growth.

Home made compost has a huge variance of what is contains, but I always feel it is more of a soil structure creator, than a fertiliser (same with mushroom compost although this is limy as well of course) and so consider it nul and void in that respect and add FBB or chicken poo after it has settled in.

And yes, plants take up any nuriensts more slowly when the soil is dry as they are all water soluble. Nitrogen is not more soluble, it is just that as it benefots leafy top growth the effct tends to be more visible that anything else. Potassium for example needs to be used for flowers/fruit which is a slower process for the plant that growing leaves.
Hope that makes sense
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:51 »
The only effects you are likely to see are from nitrogen which is very soluble and increase the size of leaf and makes them a darker green. Its effect is usually observed in crops like lettuce and brassicas about 10 days after application when things like sulphate of ammonia are used. Chicken poo has some nitrogen immediately available but some is slow release. Heavy rain can wash it down the soil profile out of reach of small plants.

Potash, phospate and others are much less soluble and a general health and good root systems are the result which nothing spectacular happening.

If a general fertilised id put on the surface the nitrogen will become available to the plants when it rains or you water. Phosphate and potash will remain unavailable unless hoed into the root zone. Hence the importance of working them into the seedbed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 16:38 by Salmo »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36 »
No dry fertiliser will work until it has been thoroughly wetted so it can physically break down and then dissolve its nutrients into the soil; this can take a long time in dry weather, especially if the fertiliser is merely sprinkled onto the surface and not hoed in.

Nitrogen and potassium salts are generally highly soluble and will be available first (and leached out the quickest), phosphates and calcium salts have relatively low solubility so will take longer to act but also last longer before they too get washed too deep into the soil to benefit shallow-rooted plants.

Any sort of compost helps to hold moisture within the soil, so it retains its nutrients for longer.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47 »

Any sort of compost helps to hold moisture within the soil, so it retains its nutrients for longer.

except for multipurp, nowadays, which seems to turn into dust  :(
Adding it to raised beds seems to provide only a very short term improvement, when the old peat style ones would last a couple of years if topped up with FB&B  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24 »

except for multipurp, nowadays, which seems to turn into dust  :(
Adding it to raised beds seems to provide only a very short term improvement, when the old peat style ones would last a couple of years if topped up with FB&B  :(

Think you may be right Mum, although I think sandy soils like mine pose a particular problem in that the organic matter tends to lighten it still further and make it even more susceptible to drying out, particularly very near the surface. That's why I'm always on the look-out for lovely lumps of sticky clay ( ::)) to try and get it to all stick together at bit more (apologies to those struggling with clay soils which bake like concrete!)  :wub:

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 00:40 »
That's why I now top up with Homebase top soil which is quite clay-ey and  my bought compost is a peat based one.
Your answers have made me think that I need a fertiliser REGIME! ::) :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:43 »
I have notes alongside my bed rotation drawing, showing what I am going to add where and when.

I have it pinned in the shed so that I know what is going where both this season and next, and where the contents of the compot bins are going , manure etc

Werks fer me  :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47 »
You are soooo organised  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 07:58 »
You are soooo organised  ;)

I have to contend with Mr Sunny's occasional helpful burst of doing something when I have my head down, so at least he knows there is a plan....... and then there is my memory to deal with too  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01 »
and then there is my memory to deal with too  :lol:

you have one of those  :blink: ...........I don't know where mine is  :wacko:

:D

xx
Effects of a long early freeze

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 00:02
by viettaclark
xx
what are the lasting effects of a severe winter?

Started by hitmanhayes on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 12:02
by diggerjoe
xx
The effects of washing up liquid on plants...

Started by Bigfatsi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 21:42
by rich24uk
xx
Conifers and laylandei effects on crops

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 13:56
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.