argh red mite again?

• 10 Replies

krystal

argh red mite again?
« on: October 10, 2011, 14:05 »
what have you found to be best to get rid
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

indigo

Re: argh red mite again?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 14:50 »
Not an expert - but have had a bad infestation of redmite in two coops this year.  The one was old (bought secondhand) and had insulation in it.  I took all the insulation out and it was so bad.  Sprayed with redmite spray i dont know how many times - in all the nooks and crannies.  There were loads of nooks and crannies from where the felt had been fitted into the bottom/top and sides. Took the felt roof off and found loads more.  So in the end i had to burn the coop.  I just couldnt rid it of mite at all.  My other coop that had them was a lot easier to clean.  We did take the felt of the roof  and found a lot under there.  But there was only a nesting box and perch.  Changed the perch and painted the whole lot with creosote.  Not the real thing - but it definately did the trick.  We could see all the mites coming out - but as we did the outside as well - they didnt stand a chance.  this coop now houses 7 hens and is completely mite free (fingers crossed it stays that way) but it has been like it now for about 2 months.  Also change bedding regularly. they will burrow under that as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 16:40 »
The old-style creosote cannot be recommended on this forum.  It is illegal to buy, store or use unless you are a licensed professional and only then when retreating previously treated wood.

It has carcinogenic properties - not desirable either for animals or for the eggs you will subsequently eat.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 17:27 »
Use a steam cleaner in the house, wallpaper strippers usually have a fine funnel end which is great for nooks and crannies, air till dry and then liberally dust with diatom. it worked for me, till I bought a plastic hut, now I can just clean it out with a hose, but I still use diatom

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 17:31 »
I think what Indigo used was probably called Creocote, I have used it in the past and Redmite do not like it one bit, I painted some on the ends of the hens perches ( giving them a good airing before putting back into the henhouse) and these areas never had any Redmite on them.
Krystal, I've now used the Diatom Slurry which again is very successful, don't foget to treat your hens also.
There are lots of previous postings on these subjects

krystal

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 19:47 »
thanks guys bleeping things

aggers

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 21:42 »
As mentioned above,dont forget to treat your hens.There are a lot of products out there which have little impact on the little bliters.We use products from TFM which is generally a farming outlet,which is used by farmers who cant afford to have sick birds,so if they use them it's normally a good measure.Also their mite products are behind a glass cabinet,not off the shelf,so pretty good stuff.Just remember when treating birds it will take a couple of treatments to break the cycle.Hope this helps.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 22:06 »
please remember that substances for professionals are not always allowed to be used by the majority of people on here. Most farmers have licenses to use such items.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:20 »
I'll add to what Joyfull said.

We do, therefore, ask everyone NOT to recommend professional only products on these forums.

indigo

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 10:22 »
Hi
Sorry, but when i said creosote, I also said not the real thing.  it was just a substitute without any of the chemicals in it.  It isnt a professionals only product. But it was very good and did the trick.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24 »
Hi
Sorry, but when i said creosote, I also said not the real thing.  it was just a substitute without any of the chemicals in it.  It isnt a professionals only product. But it was very good and did the trick.

That's absolutely fine :)

xx
Argh one chicken refusing to go to bed.

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 11:37
by Nicki85
xx
Argh! Wonky duckling - any more ideas?!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 16:54
by r2d2
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 34 queries.