March of the Mods...

• 15 Replies

Growster...

March of the Mods...
« on: September 13, 2017, 20:06 »
This is a bit 'ageist', but does the realm of Gals and Guys around my tender age here, remember having to make excuses to prance around in thin ties, silvery suits and outside a few pints of Watneys, just to make an impression on the lady in the big dress and huge earrings...

Some fat old bloke on stage would call the music, and we'll all think it was the bee's knees (nothing else to enjoy perhaps), until real rock/dance music came in later in the seventies and took over from all the perspiring old beezums in faded DJs, trying to be young again and flicking their fingers...

(But don't ever, ever try to remember watching your parents trying to do The Twist)...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: March of the Mods...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 21:50 »
Uniform for us mod girls was a parka, black ski-pants and black & white baseball boots, back in the day  :D
No big dresses for us - those were for the girls that fancied Teddy boys  ::)

So tell me how did I end up with a lad in leathers on a Norton, going to Johnson's Café on a Friday and the 59 club every Saturday. I should have know it was a mismatch from the very beginning  :lol: :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 22:07 »
Mod? Me?? Nah!

The lure of big motor bikes was way too much....... :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 23:06 »
Ladies - purleeese!

I had a Lambretta 125 LD, and always wanted a Royal Enfield Continental 500...

Something about the red petrol tank, the dropped handlebars and the racing seat I suppose!

(What were those clip on bars called...Thruxton)?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21 »
The group of mainly school mates I used to hang out with, and go on weekend burn-ups with, mostly had Lambrettas, with a solitary and much derided Vespa Sportique (mine!), and luckily a 125cc BSA Bantam motor bike which could be relied on to bring up the rear, especially given that its rider was a little on the plump side!

Apart from the mixed nature of the group's hardware, we probably considered aligning ourselves with anything as common as Mods or Rockers to be somewhat beneath us, although that didn't stop the scooter riders all sporting parkas, which in my case had the logo 'Vespa SS' carefully painted on the back in white Dulux (made me feel better, but didn't make the scooter go any faster unfortunately!)

Friday night was a regular outing to the 58 Club at Winchelsea Beach, where for 10p you got entrance plus a shepherds pie (::)) - this was washed down with plenty of beer which helped keep the cold out for the drive back to Hastings, which needless to say involved taking even more risks trying to keep up than the outward journey did. :ohmy:

On reflection, at that time I was probably concentrating more on staying alive than trying to impress the girls! :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:22 »
What were those clip on bars called...Thruxton

We just called'em Clip-ons  :lol:

IIRC we called those sweptback exhaustpipes Thruxtons  :wacko:
Those

racing seats were a beggar for us ladies as passengers - such a snug fit  ::)

I had to hand paint that sign, onto a fibreglass tank, everytime the bike got 'dropped'! (too many times) *shakes head*

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:33 »
Mary Quant dresses for me back in the day  :ohmy:

Couldn't afford the real thing so made our own.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 20:19 »
Mary Quant dresses for me back in the day  :ohmy:

Couldn't afford the real thing so made our own.

At least you didn't have to paint the blocks on for authenticity... at least I assume not  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 22:07 »
No I didn't.  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 06:55 »
"Friday night was a regular outing to the 58 Club at Winchelsea Beach, where for 10p you got entrance plus a shepherds pie (::)) - this was washed down with plenty of beer which helped keep the cold out for the drive back to Hastings, which needless to say involved taking even more risks trying to keep up than the outward journey did. :ohmy:"

That road up from the beach, Chick Hill, was the downfall of a lady's Austin 7, Jay! It just couldn't make it! I'm glad you did, especially after sampling the wares of The 58!

Did you know that many years ago, a local entrepreneur wanted to build a harbour there? It's still half dug out apparently...

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 15:19 »
I sure wasn't a rocker and maybe not a mod as my mode of transport was either a bike (it had a curved bit under the saddle - anyone know what they were called?) or stiletto shoes. In my early teens I wore one of those dresses (made by my mum) with a full skirt which stuck-out at right-angles due to the many layers of starched netting beneath which you had to re-stiffen with either more starch or a mixture of sugar in water. My dad had a Lambretta but fortunately had the sense not to take me on it or I'd have taken off like a kite on speed, plus the helmet would have ruined my hair! I remember my Sunday evenings when going on the bus to a café called "The Flying Dutchman" where we all sat around eyeing the boys.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 19:39 »
Eyeing the boys...?

You didn't see me, Goosey, over in the corner, fiddling about with ten Gold Leaf and wondering what to do next!

Just think where we could have ended up...'0)

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 15:25 »
i had a Mary Quant frock out the catalogue. It was a hand me down from my much taller sister  :D  My fave frock was another designer, erm, er   Cathy McGowan!!!!   Coat dresses! Bold prints  :D   We had  MQ make up set with the solid, block mascara and a bag with rollers in.  My sister still has that  :D

I had the mod kinky boots (white ones) My sister had black and white shiny vertical striped ones!  They were to die for!  We did the mod thing and hung about with lads with scooters later on but then we did the skinhead thing  :lol:

I'll say one thing for the skinhead era,having your hair cut off did make it grow back again really healthily  :D  Then into the disco era .... Happy days

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 15:35 »
Eyeing the boys...?

You didn't see me, Goosey, over in the corner, fiddling about with ten Gold Leaf and wondering what to do next!

Just think where we could have ended up...'0)
Probably in the back of a car - NO - not yours, one that goes ni-na...ni-na...ni-na!

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 15:38 »
Gold  Leaf!!! We had a heated discussion about those the other day. My husband said his uncle's fags, that he used to have to travel on the bus to go and fetch specially, were Capstan Full Strength. I totally disagreed but couldnt remember what they were called. Thanks for that! 
 :D

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 41 queries.