Soya / edamame bean varieties

• 2 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Soya / edamame bean varieties
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:46 »
I am pondering whether our allotment association members would like to grow soya / edamame beans - the local demographics might support it (yummy mummies in part). I know that some people haven't had much luck with soya beans but it's a bit of an adventure ...

The variety Elena has been around for a while and seems to be suited to the UK climate. The RHS mentions Ustie, another variety aimed at UK growers, and I see another new variety called Siverka on Nicky's Nursery (thanks for the tip-off, New shoot - I'd been avoiding the temptation up till then!).

Any thoughts or experiences between these 3 varieties?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:46 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Soya / edamame bean varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:13 »
I have only grown Elena out of that list and they did fine for me.  I have some from Realseeds called Gaia this year.  I bought them for last year, but they never got sown, as I got behind in spring due to work and had to put some stuff aside for the following year.

They are as easy as any other dwarf beans to grow.  I would recommend people grow them as edamame.  I have tried growing them for dried beans and they really are not that different to decent quality bought ones.  If I want edamame I can get frozen ones, but they are inferior in taste and texture to homegrown ones that I have frozen for later use.

The plants pull energy out of the leaves to make the pods, so if you want dry beans, you wait until all the leaves have fallen.  For edamame, you wait until you see decent sized beans in the pods.  Some leaves will have gone by them, but they should still have most of them.  They don’t re-crop like dwarf french beans.

Ema

Re: Soya / edamame bean varieties
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 21:34 »
Thanks New Shoot you've convinced me to add some to my basket

xx
Soya bean experiences

Started by Andrew n on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 22, 2013, 20:42
by Yorkie
xx
Edamame Beans

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2020, 11:39
by mrs bouquet
xx
french bean varieties

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 11:53
by Lottiegob
xx
broad bean varieties

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 07:18
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.