growing carrots in paper pots

• 15 Replies

rowlandwells

growing carrots in paper pots
« on: March 11, 2011, 20:22 »
i know there been much said about growing veg seed in paper pots i am going to try growing carrots in paper pots has anyone tried growing carrots this way and have you had any success

is it best to make a hole quite deep put your carrot that's bench grown in the paper pot into the hole filled with a mixture of compost and sand leaving just one carrot per pot or alternatively grow them in a peat pot using the same method and mix i know its a bit long winded but if it produces good carrots then its all worth  :D

your comments most welcome  :)

bigben

Re: growing carrots in paper pots
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 20:30 »
I think paper pots are really useful but a little time consuming to make. I use them for parsnips and french beans. For carrots it would take quite a long time to make enough. I assume your trying to avoid the carrots forking after they hit stones etc?

What about using a bulb planter to dig out holes at the required distance. Put the soil you dig out into a bucket and remove stones. Add a bit of sand/ compost and then you can refil the holes with something the carrots should grow well in?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 21:25 »
I grow Parsnips and Sweetcorn in tall newspaper pots because they don't like root disturbance, and Sweetpeas because they need a decent root-run.

I grew Carrots in newspaper pots but decided it was too much effort - carrots are pretty small, and need far more plants, compared to Parsnips / Sweetcorn.

I now grow my Carrots in containers instead.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 23:04 »
I dont see the point with carrots as i grow so many.  I just bung them in pots or like Bigben says (and because my soil is so rubbish) drill holes with my trusty bulb planter fill with compost mix and add seed :)  It hasnt failed me yet!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:16 »
I'm with everyone else - no amount of paper pots will really work. If a few soggy ones fall apart, that's the carrots gone. They really won't transplant well.

Rather than holes with good soil, why not just make trenches with a mix of sand and good soil and you should do very well with direct seeding them. If you row cover them at first, it will give them warmth for a fast start then you're on your way.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:39 »
I'm with everyone else - no amount of paper pots will really work. If a few soggy ones fall apart, that's the carrots gone. They really won't transplant well.

Rather than holes with good soil, why not just make trenches with a mix of sand and good soil and you should do very well with direct seeding them. If you row cover them at first, it will give them warmth for a fast start then you're on your way.

Although paper-pots and small cells are great for all sorts of things I'm with you on this one Trillium.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07 »
I also agree with Trillium and Learner.

I cover the areas where carrots and parsnips are to grow with a cloche a couple of weeks before they are to be sown in order to warm up the soil. When sown re-cover with the cloches until the seedlings are established and then remove during a mild spell of weather to harden the seedlings off. Its worth replacing the cloche with enviromesh or similar to prevent damage from carrot fly.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 13:25 »
I agree on the trench. Individual pots and/or holes for carrots are just too fiddly and time consuming. You get so many carrot seeds per pack I like to plant them a bit thicker and eat the thinnings as the season goes on.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 19:12 »
thanks all for your advise going to try growing my carrots as you suggested this season  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 19:20 »
thanks all for your advise going to try growing my carrots as you suggested this season  :D

Best of luck  :)

Kumfy

• hang loose
carrots&beetroot in peat pots
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 05:43 »
peat pots are great for sowing carrots&beetroot seed. just dont put to many seeds in. as soon as the roots start pushing through pots, bury the pot in final position. never failed and no thinning out to do. easy peasy, just dont let pots dry out.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 07:25 »
Why use peat pots? Paper pots are:

Easier for roots to push through

Don't cost anything to make

More environmentally friendly
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 14:25 »
I wouldnt bother in paper pots or peat pots etc.. - paper pots are a bit tedious to make on a large scale. Good fun for a few mins and then there is always something more interesting to do...And carrots are arguably best going straight into the ground, as mentioned.

But for other veg that you want transplanting later, try using "empty" loo roll tubes : I have several draws full of them and they cost nothing - and friends donate their old loo roll tubes to me by the dozen on a regular basis - no pun intended! And they simply go straight out into the soil when they are ready and they all break down well enough. Some I cut into two (for lettuces usually and other veg where I don't need much depth)

Last year I sowed many of my leeks in the full length tubes - having sown the main lot of them in a cat litter tray filled with compost as i have done for donkeys years. But the ones in the loo roll tubes were just as effective - got about 6 leeks from each tube ready to be transplanted out last year which grew on to be good enough leeks.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 15:04 »
 hi jonajo good point with loo rolls but what's the difference between loo rolls and paper pots :unsure:

I've made quite a number of paper pots overwinter since my wife bought me a paper pot maker for a Christmas pressie also i intended starting carrots in paper pots in the greenhouse and then transplanting in the Lottie wouldn't this alleviate the need for thinning that was my trail of thought to reduce the problem of the carrot fly :(

i tried swede i paper pots last year and they where perfect same with parsnips because i have found my ground is not that good for direct seed sowing despite having used dung lime and fertilizer prior to seed sowing i find using pelleted seed is much better for pot so-wings

also i was intending to transplant my carrots into compost/sand filled holes a little tedious one mite say but if one achieves results then its worth it wouldn't you say  ;)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 15:09 »
no difference apart from loo rolls are instant to use being ready-made and free. And it is nice to make use of them.

To be honest I used to make paper pots using a kit and then got onto rolling paper myself but maybe it is getting a touch older but now I go for the easiest, time-saving approach for that side of things....

Although ironically I can spend HOURS in the allotment pootling around and doing very little!!! And writing plant labels, too!

With the root veg, yes they can be done in pots but you have to make sure with these (esp carrots, parsnips) that the roots don't outgrow the pots and try to poke through the bottom and they dont take well to being disturbed - whereas some other veg are pretty resilient

xx
Carrots in paper pots.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 08:55
by Riala
xx
growing seeds in paper pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 14:56
by bigben
xx
growing carrots in pots

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2020, 08:50
by Mr Dog
xx
growing carrots in pots and raise bed

Started by spudlover on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 01:09
by samnorfolk

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 38 queries.