The top died, pear tree problem

• 2 Replies

WeavingGryphon

The top died, pear tree problem
« on: August 01, 2020, 09:44 »
Hello again,

One of the community pear trees scions has died and the root stock has put out 3 or 4 little branches. The trunk is less than 2 inches across and the new growth is this year's growth.

Is it better to try and graft onto the new growth, or cut the trunk back to the rootstock and graft onto that? It'll be very close to the ground and that causes the risk of water splashing from the ground which is seemingly disease promoting.

There is another pear growing next to it (also doing poorly) and further down a bit so getting a cutting shouldn't be hard and there is a stake in situ to support it.

I have permission from the one who nearly backhanded me in the face to "do whatever (you) want, I haven't been in there for years".

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: The top died, pear tree problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 00:49 »
Graft onto the new branches from the rootstock.   You can try to graft on each of the branches and choose the most successful graft as your new tree.   Try to choose scion wood of the same size as the branches.   You will increase your chances of success if you enclose both the graft and the end of the scion (if using whip and tongue grafting) with tree-sealing tar.

WeavingGryphon

Re: The top died, pear tree problem
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:45 »
Graft onto the new branches from the rootstock.   You can try to graft on each of the branches and choose the most successful graft as your new tree.   Try to choose scion wood of the same size as the branches.   You will increase your chances of success if you enclose both the graft and the end of the scion (if using whip and tongue grafting) with tree-sealing tar.

I thought grafting onto the new branches would be the best way. I've messaged the people who run it to see if they are okay with it. Or care.

clip
Pear tree problem

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2014, 20:43
by Yorkie
xx
problem with pear tree

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 00:06
by gobs
xx
Pear tree, leaf problem

Started by Foxy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 06:58
by vegikev
xx
Pear tree leaf problem...

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 19:55
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.